News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Favourite composer?

Started by Piratenerforsej, March 24, 2012, 08:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piratenerforsej

Melmoth

Ennio Morricone and Johnny Greenwood are my favourite cinematic composers.

For video games it's Garry Schyman (I'm trying to learn this song at the moment - hard but very, very fun)

other than that, probably Alfred Schnittke (and here), Dmitri Shostakovich, Krzysztof Penderecki and John Tavener (not Taverner, he's the old one, haven't listened to much of his stuff)
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

McQ

My Top Ten:

Lalo Schifrin
Bill Conti
Ennio Morricone
Bernard Herrmann
Elmer Bernstein
John Barry
James Horner
Max Steiner
Dmitri Tiomkin
Patrick Doyle

My Other Likes:

Nino Rota
Maurice Jarre
Michel Legrand
Leonard Bernstein

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

xSilverPhinx

Video games:

Yasunori Mitsuda for Chrono Cross

Nervous_Testpilot for Frozen Synapse

There are a few others, but those two are the first two that come to mind.

Movies: Mostly Hans Zimmer, but most of his songs are more or less the same. They're good IMO though.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Harmonie

That's a really tough one for me. Probably the composers that I listen to the most these days are Thomas Tallis, Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Particularly I love Renaissance choral music and Impressionist music. They're both very unique styles of music that invoke feelings that can't be found anywhere else.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Piratenerforsej

You all give me some new composers to listen to! That's awesome :D

Crow

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Philip Glass
Kronos Quartet
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

I really love Michiru Yamane, who did the music for Castlevania: Sympathy of the night.

Also Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Umematsu worked magic for the music of chrono trigger on SNES. Still gives me shivers. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Firebird

As far as traditional classical music, Gustav Mahler is at the top of my list, as is Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Dvorak. The Dvorak cello concerto is beautiful enough to make me tear up.

Movie music: John Williams (of course), Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings), and James Horner (Star Trek II and Glory, among others mentioned here already)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

rickrocks

Interesting that no one so far has chosen any composers from the traditional classical lists. Here are a few of my faves,...

Undisputed masters all!

J. S. Bach
W.A. Mozart
L. van Beethoven
I. Stravinsky
B. Bartok
F. Poulenc
I. Xenakis
E. Varese
O. Messaien

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

rickrocks

Quote from: Asmodean on April 23, 2012, 09:03:01 PM
What, no Wagner?

Well, not everyone can love Wagner, although I do treasure the Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd version!

You will find a decided lack of Romantic period stuff in my collection, esp late Romantic. My preferences, though not absolute, run through Baroque, Classical, and then misteriously skip over the Romantics like a stone over turbulent water, and then through the 20th century from beginning to end.

Asmodean

Ah! Well, being an utterly mad and somewhat evil academic, Ritt der Walküren is a must on my like-list.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

history_geek

Sibelius (we so need to make Finlandia the national anthem. Vårt land is good enough I suppose, but....)

Jean Sibelius - Finlandia
Jean Sibelius - The Swan of Tuonela

And of course Mozart, Beethoven, Händel, Vivaldi, Bach, Zimmer, etc.

And pretty much anyone who composes the musics for Two Steps from Hell, Epic Score, Pfeifer Broz. Music and Audiomachine  ;D

And indeed, the Ride of the Valkyries is a must....well I am a bit mad, and I love war history. I think that compensates for being evil...almost... :P Oh, and O Fortuna is another!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

rickrocks

Quote from: Asmodean on April 24, 2012, 06:27:44 AM
Ah! Well, being an utterly mad and somewhat evil academic, Ritt der Walküren is a must on my like-list.  :D

Now madness and evil I can understand! Brings to mind the Wagner-Hitler connection (admittedly indirect)