News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Do you have a core?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, March 02, 2017, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I said:
QuoteLots been written on nature vs nurture, I came to the conclusion it is a ratio, maybe from 1:100 to 100:1 (%)

Doh! Must have a hole in my brain! It can never be 100% nuture, got to be a brain there to train by nurture and is there's a brain there's a larger genetic content!

So, genes must be predominant but what ever they predispose, in terms of personality type, for can be modified by environmental factors.

100% nature at birth - disregarding damage or influence from whatever the mother pops, eats or drinks, others smoking, maybe music etc - then nurture and/or environment adjusts things (or not). I know some have only a thin veneer of morality or sociability.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Good topic!

As for my case, I don't think there is one defined "I", but rather a collection of "I's" that make up "me". It's not anything like a split personality but it is multifaceted.

I feel, deep down, that my personality has changed since my adolescence and early twenties, I think differently and deal with situations differently than I would before then. I have a drastically different outlook. Life has played a huge role molding me into what I am. I consider myself a moral person, but am the first to recognise that morality is flexible, I guess I just try to be adaptable and survive. As far as Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs mine are really basic right now.

I think people like to think there is a sense of continuity, even if that is not necessarily the case. Divergence from core personality traits or beliefs generally result in uncomfortable cognitive dissonance, but that can be internally justified to oneself and effectively ignored with a little effort. Mental gymnastics, so to speak. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Your comment aboyt multiple "I"s made me think of mekant'i in the Kiaden Universe sci-fi series. In their culture each oerdon has to be several people, a bit like "transactional analysis" but in a more formal way.

Thus a person could be a parent, head of the extended family (including siblings), senior member in the family business, mentor, confidant . . . Acting in all roles consistentoy with the expectations of that role but able to change to another instantly.

Since it is part if the culture the "junior" member in the interaction acceots any sudden change - from loving parent to stern manager, say, in reaction to some new factor in the interchange. But, amongst us ordinary humans, I have seen sudden changes in behaviour/apparent relationship cause lots of problems.

On the subject of "outlook" with age; it's a hill, you climb the slope to maturity, hit the top for a few years then - it's down the slippery slope on the other side!

:sadnod:

;)

Ecurb Noselrub

I like the "Many-Me's" model.  At any given time one or more may be ascendant.  Memories and sense of self provide a continuity, but there is no one core that I can identify.  I can be black or white, day or night.   

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 07, 2017, 10:31:57 PM
I like the "Many-Me's" model.  At any given time one or more may be ascendant.  Memories and sense of self provide a continuity, but there is no one core that I can identify.  I can be black or white, day or night.
As long as the various "yous" take precedence with deliberation and for valid reason. "Flying of the handle" (guess that refers to a hammer head - now "out of control") or being flippant about a serious situation can be indicative of an inappropriate attitude or of an insincere personality.

In "melant'i" the behaviour must be appropriate and sincere. But that was fiction, we are real and fallible humans!

hermes2015

I have often thought about this question. Who is the "real" me, if such a single entity actually exists? I am a bit of a chameleon, in that I seem to take on the characteristics of whatever group I am in. Having said that, I don't think it shows weakness of character, because I am really quite strong. In fact, depending on who I am with, I often tone myself down into a gentler old man so as not to be too domineering and opinionated. A friend once said that I was an onion, because I had so many layers.

Who is the real me, the person I know who lives somewhere inside my brain, or the person perceived by others. Of course, there are many of the latter, so am I then a superposition of all the characters perceived by others?

I am sure much has been written about this by clever people, but I have not read too much on the subject. Unfortunately, I am not qualified in the right fields of study to allow me to work this out on my own, so I am interested to see what other members have had to say so far.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames