Why I won't be participating in any more Relay for Life events

Started by Whitney, September 12, 2011, 09:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Because the American Cancer Society is prejudice against atheists:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/09/08/why-are-they-rejecting-atheist-generosity/

Even their 'clarification' which is linked in the article doesn't clear up the issue.

I also would like to add that when we did participate in Relay for Life last year that there was a very long prayer said during the opening ceremony....it was just annoying; not the reason that anyone is taking issue with ACS.

If they were to resolve the issue by taking time to actually explain properly why a non-profit corporation can't count as a national corporate sponsor then I'd reconsider my decision to no longer support the ACS.

fyv0h

Truely shitty, but then I can't justify not assisting in bettering the lives of others simply because some douche buckets don't agree with my perstective. Were that the case, I'd burn clothes rather than donate to them, my company provided Thanksgiving turkey wouldn't go to the church to be given to a needy family, and I sure as hell wouldn't donate Christmas toys. I'd prefer to piss the groups off by letting them see an Atheist contribute positively to society.
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

Whitney

But there are plenty of other cancer non-profits to which I can donate money and time without feeling like I'm supporting bias against people like myself.  Almost every good cause (probably even all of them) has secular means of donating without having to directly help out a religious cause or support a prejudiced non-profit.  If I go and donate something to poorly run charities that don't meet my standard of ethics then I'm supporting what they are doing...I'm not pissing them off because they are happy to take my atheist money as long as I don't make them recognize publicly that they took it. 

The Foundation Beyond Belief and their associated groups positively contribute to society without giving bigotry a boost in the process.

fyv0h

Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

LukevanVeith

To tell the truth, it annoys me... But don't forget to participate another charity events. Why only America? There are a lot of people who need your  money more.