News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Evolution's new opponent...Ben Stein? Wtf?

Started by User192021, October 23, 2007, 03:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

User192021

Apparently Ben Stein made a movie which opposes the "dominance of Darwinian evolutionary theory" in science.  I had no idea Ben Stein went for this kind of stuff.  Kind of threw me for a loop.  Anyway, I guess this is the creationists' latest attempt at creating the illusion of a "controversy" within the scientific community.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20 ... w_Film.htm

Squid

They also used underhanded methods to speak with some scientists:

Clicky

rlrose328

Quote from: "User192021"Apparently Ben Stein made a movie which opposes the "dominance of Darwinian evolutionary theory" in science.  I had no idea Ben Stein went for this kind of stuff.  Kind of threw me for a loop.  Anyway, I guess this is the creationists' latest attempt at creating the illusion of a "controversy" within the scientific community.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20 ... w_Film.htm

It doesn't surprise me at all... Ben Stein was a speechwriter for the Republican presidents from way back and has always been on the very conservative side of the river.  It bums me out whenever I remember that because I loved him in "Ferris Bueller" and I adored his game show and then I remember that I do not agree with him on anything with regard to politics and, probably, religion.

Here is his blog... I'm quite disappointed by what I read there:

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/blog/20 ... bens-blog/
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

User192021

Here's a comment posted by a reader on his blog.  :)

QuoteIf you had a ludicrous point of view, and wanted to shine it up and make it appear reasonable, who would you choose for the task? How about a political speech writer? Better yet…President Nixon’s speechwriter!

I have some real fears that this film, however dishonest, will lend credibility to the creationist agenda and may change the minds of some of the "on the fence" Christians out there.  The scientific community needs to step up and put a stop to this nonsense before this country slides back into the middle ages.

Will

He was a politician by trade before being an actor, not a scientist. I mean he worked for Nixon, aka Bush light. Color me unsurprised.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ryanvc76

Has anyone else noticed how many people have gone from acting to politics and vice versa.  It seems that both professions are based on fooling an audience into believing what they want you to - go figure!
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

rlrose328

Quote from: "ryanvc76"It seems that both professions are based on fooling an audience into believing what they want you too - go figure!

You NAILED that one!   :lol:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

Quote from: "Squid"They also used underhanded methods to speak with some scientists:
Creationist using underhanded tactics when speaking with scientists?  :shock:  Say it ain't so!

Seriously - maybe creationists evolved from worms.  Or weasels.

:wink:

Will

Creationists evolved from apes that didn't think they evolved from monkeys.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Willravel"Creationists evolved from apes that didn't think they evolved from monkeys.
I don't normally type this, but LOL.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

SteveS

Haha!  Good one Willravel - that's perfect!  Hehe....

Jesster85

Wow, I can't believe that. I really liked Ben Stein too. At least on the blog for the web site there is a lot of negetive posts.
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."-Richard Dawkins

SabineMaia

Wow. Wow. It never ceases to amaze me just how low some people will stoop to validate their insupportable ideas. "ID isn't welcomed by the scientific community -- it's a conspiracy!" WTF? It's not a conspiracy, it's just science abused.

You know, sometimes I do think ID should be taught alongside evolution, just as a means of demonstrationg what bad scientific method is, as opposed to good scientific method. Maybe that could quell some of this clap-trap from rearing its ugly head with each new generation.

Girl Dancing In Orbit

That thing about Ben Stein surprised me... I didn't know the guy at all, but I liked his show "win Ben Stein's money" I thought he was intelligent, well maybe he is... But I now need to be convinced of that again.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Willravel"Creationists evolved from apes that didn't think they evolved from monkeys.

To all creationists who ask what good is half an eye, I counter with this simple adage: What good is half a brain?

I'm a conservative guy (on most things) but I find this a disappointment. Stein has always been one of those people I respect in connection with the Republican party but this is just disheartening. I heard him talking with some ultra-christian station at work and was just sad to hear about this movie a few months ago. The same station went on to say that "water-boarding" is not torture.

Frankly, neo-con types like that make me rather ill.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?