News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Believe In Evolution? Your Help Wanted!

Started by Kylyssa, April 04, 2008, 01:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegodconclusion

hi all, i'm not resurrecting this topic, just wanted to comment on the topic title.  specifically, 'believe' in evolution.  also, i'm new here, don't want to sound like im correcting you Kylyssa, hope it doesn't come across like that.  i just think this is an extremely important idea and i'd like to see if people agree that it's so important.  

in case it hasn't happened to others yet, know that people who are against evolution will jump on the use of 'believe'.  so i've made it a habit to say 'accept' evolution when referring to others.  ex. george bush doesn't accept evolution.  when referring to myself, i try and say that i'm 'convinced' by evolution.  i'll state this to whomever i'm debating, then ask, "aren't you convinced by evolution?"  by phrasing it this way it usually sheds light on the fact that they haven't spent any time learning about it.  their honest answer would be "how can i be convinced, i don't know anything about it!"  but rarely are they that honest.

maybe others feel the same?

i'm trying to ditch 'believe' when referring to my own or other people's thoughts about evolution.  'accept' or 'am convinced' seem to work for me so far.  anyone else have other effective words?
If you have a minute please sign my petition for Richard Dawkins.  Thanks!
http://thegodconclusion.wordpress.com/

Kylyssa

This is an excellent point, improper semantics can bite a person on the ass.

Asmodean

Well, you can always say that you know evolution for a fact. Let them dispute that with their bibles and qurans and whatnots.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.