News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Dealing with the condescending...

Started by MinnesotaMike, August 27, 2011, 07:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnesotaMike

That was the back and forth we had. She mentioned prayer creates change, I mentioned that hands could be put to a better use to achieve results, and apparently she thinks that makes me blind to what folding your hands can accomplish.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on September 06, 2011, 02:07:19 AM
That was the back and forth we had. She mentioned prayer creates change, I mentioned that hands could be put to a better use to achieve results, and apparently she thinks that makes me blind to what folding your hands can accomplish.

Oh, OK, I get it.  I thought they were just a list of quotes from her.  Do you remember when there was a flurry of reporting in the news that scientific studies had proven that patients in hospitals who have people praying for them, even if they don't know it, get better faster?  I remember reading something a few months ago that this was not the full story.  Apparently this was one of a set of random and unpredictable results -- prayed for people were also just as likely to show no difference over the unprayed for, and to actually get worse than people not being prayed for.  That's something that frustrates me, when promoting the supernatural news is pushed all over the place and debunking the supernatural news is buried.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

fyv0h

I invite them to walk and talk with me. Whilst having a wonderful conversation about praying for me,  I find an elevator, hit the button for the top floor, and fart when the doors close. Let's see God get you out of this one...
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: fyv0h on September 10, 2011, 12:57:37 AM
I invite them to walk and talk with me. Whilst having a wonderful conversation about praying for me,  I find an elevator, hit the button for the top floor, and fart when the doors close. Let's see God get you out of this one...

ROFL!! :D

I love that! Honestly, more of them need to be taken for a "ride."
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Heisenberg

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 06, 2011, 03:25:34 AM
Oh, OK, I get it.  I thought they were just a list of quotes from her.  Do you remember when there was a flurry of reporting in the news that scientific studies had proven that patients in hospitals who have people praying for them, even if they don't know it, get better faster?  I remember reading something a few months ago that this was not the full story.  Apparently this was one of a set of random and unpredictable results -- prayed for people were also just as likely to show no difference over the unprayed for, and to actually get worse than people not being prayed for.  That's something that frustrates me, when promoting the supernatural news is pushed all over the place and debunking the supernatural news is buried.
If I recall correctly, in 'The God Delusion', Dawkins talks about a study like this where the people who were prayed for did WORSE than the people who weren't. The people running the study chalked it up to performance anxiety.
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

not your typical...

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on August 27, 2011, 07:02:44 PM
I've a quick question for my fellow rationalists on here: how do you remain so in the face of incredible disrespect? Whenever the subject of religion/prayer/theism is brought up with a Christian, it seems they are entirely dismissive and condescending when you're trying to have an actual conversation. Most recently:

-"Prayer changes things!"

-"A pair of hands at work will accomplish more than a thousand folded in prayer."

-"We are all ignorant, just on different subjects."

I don't know why, but this type of remark really burns me. After this little transaction I stated that she was being condescending, and she didn't object at all. The premise that anyone who doesn't agree with you is ignorant is typically laughable, but the irony was (apparently) lost on her.

Furthermore, I want to state that I don't lash out or participate in militant atheism, and I never resort to violence or verbal abuse. Usually I'm like a puppy... made out of bunnies... but I believe the dismissive attitude is inexcusable and it just makes me livid. Any idea as to why this is so frustrating? And how do you guys deal with it (if you find it frustrating as well)?

Those type of responses normally only come from extremely ignorant people who are to submissive and not knowledgeable to even know how to begin to defend what they're trying to preach.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.