SCOTUS strikes out parts of the AZ immigration law, but keeps "papers please."

Started by Ali, June 25, 2012, 09:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

We have a similar problem in the UK with security checking of airline passengers.  A lot of people complain that there's no need to frisk obviously white old grannies for bombs, just on the grounds of avoiding discrimination.  Why must everyone be delayed?

I agree, except that if the white grannies are not checked, pretty soon some terrorist is going to find a way to turn one into a bomb.

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on June 26, 2012, 10:16:30 AM
I agree, except that if the white grannies are not checked, pretty soon some terrorist is going to find a way to turn one into a bomb.

That would have been my thoughts. Plus you never know all those grannies might just be sleeper cells waiting to get the call.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

We have a similar problem in the UK with security checking of airline passengers.  A lot of people complain that there's no need to frisk obviously white old grannies for bombs, just on the grounds of avoiding discrimination.  Why must everyone be delayed?

That's a sad and scary thought ;-;

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 27, 2012, 02:14:25 AM

That's a sad and scary thought ;-;
It must be my sick sense of humour but I find the idea of 'Exploding Suicide Grannies!' quite amusing. It would make a great video game :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on June 27, 2012, 07:52:18 AM
It must be my sick sense of humour but I find the idea of 'Exploding Suicide Grannies!' quite amusing. It would make a great video game :)

eff yeah! It could be like the new fad to take over from vampires and zombies. I take it your a fan of comedy by Chris Morris, I am thinking more 'Brass Eye' and 'The Day Today' rather than the IT crowd.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on June 27, 2012, 10:00:14 AM

eff yeah! It could be like the new fad to take over from vampires and zombies. I take it your a fan of comedy by Chris Morris, I am thinking more 'Brass Eye' and 'The Day Today' rather than the IT crowd.
I've never watched Brass Eye or The Day Today, but I have chortled moderately at the IT crowd?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on June 27, 2012, 03:34:58 PM
Quote from: Crow on June 27, 2012, 10:00:14 AM

I've never watched Brass Eye or The Day Today, but I have chortled moderately at the IT crowd?

I love the IT crowd!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fester30

I agree and disagree with the part of the law that was kept.  I don't think police should ask someone for proof of citizenship based on looks.  However, if a cop pulls someone over on the road or catches someone committing a crime, I don't find any problem with asking for legal identification, like they already do ask me if they stop me for anything.  But they should apply that standard to all persons, not just those that look a certain way.

I have a bigger problem with the way conservative media and Republicans portray the accomplishments of the Obama administration concerning immigration.  The President does not have the power to pass immigration law, the Congress does.  Republicans run the House, yet they call out Obama because there is no immigration reform currently.  The President has used the powers at his disposal to increase patrols on the border by several thousand border patrol personnel and increase the use of technologies such as drone aircraft and security cameras. 

The combined efforts of previous legislation on funding and fences, along with the President's increased enforcement of illegal immigration, have resulted in record numbers of deportations, as well as substantial increases in deportation of criminals.  He doesn't get credit for being a greater deporter and immigration enforcer than President Bush, however, despite the facts.

I personally applaud the enforcement holiday on those who came to America as kids.  I have a cousin who married a man that didn't find out he was an undocumented immigrant until he was 18.  His parents even kept that a secret from him.  Until then, all he knew of the world was that he was an American and proud of it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/27/partisan-spin-denies-obama-credit-for-immigration-success.html

Ali

Quote from: fester30 on June 27, 2012, 07:12:58 PM
II personally applaud the enforcement holiday on those who came to America as kids.  I have a cousin who married a man that didn't find out he was an undocumented immigrant until he was 18.  His parents even kept that a secret from him.  Until then, all he knew of the world was that he was an American and proud of it.

I agree.  I don't see how it's fair or moral or helpful to punish children who most likely had no choice in the matter anyway, and have grown up here just like everyone else.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: fester30 on June 27, 2012, 07:12:58 PM
I agree and disagree with the part of the law that was kept.  I don't think police should ask someone for proof of citizenship based on looks.  However, if a cop pulls someone over on the road or catches someone committing a crime, I don't find any problem with asking for legal identification, like they already do ask me if they stop me for anything.  But they should apply that standard to all persons, not just those that look a certain way.

I have a bigger problem with the way conservative media and Republicans portray the accomplishments of the Obama administration concerning immigration.  The President does not have the power to pass immigration law, the Congress does.  Republicans run the House, yet they call out Obama because there is no immigration reform currently.  The President has used the powers at his disposal to increase patrols on the border by several thousand border patrol personnel and increase the use of technologies such as drone aircraft and security cameras. 

The combined efforts of previous legislation on funding and fences, along with the President's increased enforcement of illegal immigration, have resulted in record numbers of deportations, as well as substantial increases in deportation of criminals.  He doesn't get credit for being a greater deporter and immigration enforcer than President Bush, however, despite the facts.

I personally applaud the enforcement holiday on those who came to America as kids.  I have a cousin who married a man that didn't find out he was an undocumented immigrant until he was 18.  His parents even kept that a secret from him.  Until then, all he knew of the world was that he was an American and proud of it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/27/partisan-spin-denies-obama-credit-for-immigration-success.html
I think that all of your points are valid.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche