News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Sensory Illusions

Started by xSilverPhinx, October 14, 2019, 01:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 22, 2019, 12:50:02 PM
i have lost most of my sense of smell with age.

one evening i was cutting the head off a dead deer my wife and i came across on a walk, and started wrinkling up her nose.

why are you making faces?

that dead deer stinks.

i couldnt smell anything.

i cant smell the sulfur compounds in gearbox oil, or cinnamon.  i can still smell skunks, but theyre not the same as they used to be. apparently i the sensory loss is uneven.

Are you diabetic? I ask as I am ans I started to loose my sense of smell which is apparently a relatively common symptom.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

not diabetic that i know of.

i looked up the symptoms, but thy more or less correspond to what i've always thought of as normal.

maybe a blood sugar test would be useful.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 22, 2019, 05:21:41 PM
not diabetic that i know of.

i looked up the symptoms, but thy more or less correspond to what i've always thought of as normal.

maybe a blood sugar test would be useful.

It's very very simple.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on October 22, 2019, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on October 22, 2019, 12:50:02 PM
i have lost most of my sense of smell with age.

one evening i was cutting the head off a dead deer my wife and i came across on a walk, and started wrinkling up her nose.

why are you making faces?

that dead deer stinks.

i couldnt smell anything.

i cant smell the sulfur compounds in gearbox oil, or cinnamon.  i can still smell skunks, but theyre not the same as they used to be. apparently i the sensory loss is uneven.

Are you diabetic? I ask as I am ans I started to loose my sense of smell which is apparently a relatively common symptom.

Sadly, I think you're doomed.

Loss of Smell Linked to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's — But Why?

oty's review, however, looked at many neurodegenerative diseases with varying degrees of smell loss and sought to find a common link that may explain such losses. He considered physiological factors as well as environmental factors like air pollution, viruses, and exposure to pesticides.

"Ultimately, as each possibility was evaluated, there were cases where these factors didn't show up, which ruled them out as potential universal biomarkers."

Doty did find compelling evidence for a neurological basis: damage to the neurotransmitter and neuromodulator receptors in the forebrain, particularly when the neurochemical acetylcholine is involved
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

well, i guess i don't have to worry about paying off my debts then.

always a silver lining

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

^Those are so cool, thanks for adding the video, Hermes!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey