News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Door Preachers

Started by Whitney, January 20, 2012, 04:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: BullyforBronto on January 21, 2012, 04:29:46 AM
To help him out, I went to the door, put my arm around him, rubbed his back and asked the door preachers what their thoughts were on gay marriage. I actually felt sorry for the dudes. They were only 20-years-old at best and not equipped to handle the question. Needless to say, they straightened their ties and jumped back on their bicycles in record time.

That is awesome!

Amicale

About a year ago, my wife and I were at a friends' house when some Mormons knocked on their door. My buddy answered their knock, and five minutes into the "conversation" he seemed to be stuck. To help him out, I went to the door, put my arm around him, rubbed his back and asked the door preachers what their thoughts were on gay marriage. I actually felt sorry for the dudes. They were only 20-years-old at best and not equipped to handle the question. Needless to say, they straightened their ties and jumped back on their bicycles in record time.

LOL!  :D

Reminds me of the time two LDS members (young guys, maybe 20ish also) came to my door when my girlfriend was visiting us, they hadn't gotten too many words in edgewise when she walked up behind me, wrapped her arm around me as she was holding my (then 2 year old, 3 now) daughter, planted a kiss on my cheek, and said 'Oooh! Sweetie pie! Is this that awesome gay couple you said would come over today? Great! Let me grab the wine and the board games!'

... and the two young guys looked SO baffled, tripped over themselves saying we had them mistaken, *they* certainly weren't gay, and they got the heck out of Dodge while the two of us ladies started giggling helplessly and my little one yelled 'YAY!' which made us laugh even harder.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

About a year ago, my wife and I were at a friends' house when some Mormons knocked on their door. My buddy answered their knock, and five minutes into the "conversation" he seemed to be stuck. To help him out, I went to the door, put my arm around him, rubbed his back and asked the door preachers what their thoughts were on gay marriage. I actually felt sorry for the dudes. They were only 20-years-old at best and not equipped to handle the question. Needless to say, they straightened their ties and jumped back on their bicycles in record time.

LOL! :D

The best way to get rid of them is to make them feel as uncomfortable as possible. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

best post of the day!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

You are amazing, bullyforbronco.

Sadly I havent had any door preacher experience because I live in a small NYC apartment.  :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 21, 2012, 03:08:16 PM

Sadly I havent had any door preacher experience because I live in a small NYC apartment.  :)

I'll knock on your door and ask you stuff if you want.

Things are so wrong, don't you think it is the time to invite Jesus into your life?

Guardian85

The only time i have had missionaries at my door was a Saturday morning. I was moonlighting as a bouncer at the time and had slept less then two hours when they woke me up. I told them this in my broad northern norwegian accent and then told them to "ta rennafart å reis tel helvete!" >:( Any other norwegians here can tell you what that means.
Don't know who they were, don't know where they came from, but they never came back.

Later of course, I ended up as a roommate with a ex-hindu turned Jehovas Witness. That was weird.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 21, 2012, 03:20:08 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 21, 2012, 03:08:16 PM

I'll knock on your door and ask you stuff if you want.

Things are so wrong, don't you think it is the time to invite Jesus into your life?

I'm having a hard time finding a job. I should pray harder! :(

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 21, 2012, 06:47:44 PM

I'm having a hard time finding a job. I should pray harder! :(

Become a pastor. You know you could fake it. Living with yourself and sleeping at night is another question, but hey... ;)

Seriously, hope you find something soon. I'm prettymuch in the same boat. I've got temp work here and there which is okayish since I've got a little munchkin running around here, but I'm looking for something more stable than that. I just thank 'Asmo' that I'm currently living with family. Built in babysitters are a huge help while I'm going nuts job hunting.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

Thanks, Amicale!
I currently live with my grandma, but I'm dying to move out.... Argh.

Asmodean

I serve industrial grade coffee, educate them on the many glories of Satan and generally not see the same pair more than once.

To me, door preachers are a source of minor entertainment, nothing more.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on January 21, 2012, 09:05:15 PM
I serve industrial grade coffee, educate them on the many glories of Satan and generally not see the same pair more than once.

I would love to come to your house for coffee.  :)

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 21, 2012, 10:02:22 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 21, 2012, 09:05:15 PM

I would love to come to your house for coffee.  :)
You and me, both. We might even get Cecilie and Guardian85 to join in too, if we were really lucky.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Whitney on January 20, 2012, 04:34:00 PM
Had my first door preachers since in forever (last I remember were when I was a child; any since then have been in public)...

I've lived in a security building for nearly 20 years, so the only people knocking on my door for a long time have been neighbors wondering if I would take care of their goldfish while they were out of town.

QuoteI was unexpectedly nervous (or maybe annoyed too...it's 10:30am and I work from home); either way it made me shaky (my hands literally shake if I am nervous, mad or both); I think I might be subconsciously still concerned about religious people knowing where I live (yet, no problems opening up my house to strangers for meetup groups or discussing in public settings)...

I think you need a sign for your door reading:  Occupant works from home.  DO NOT knock on this door unless the street is on fire and you're a fireman here to carry me and my computer to safety.

QuoteHow do you handle preachers at your home's door and how does it make you feel?

When I was a kid dealing with door-to-door street preachers was my job since I didn't mind standing there and nodding politely while they talked themselves out.  I was a kid, to me it was just a break from my chores or homework.

As an adult tho, with my own home and things to get done, it was different.  Then I'd just smile and cut the spiel short saying something like "I'm not in the market for a religion, thanks anyway!"  I got very few comments about hell, most of them asked if they could pray for me and I told them that was fine -- didn't hurt me and maybe made them feel better, so why not?  Anyway, it got them off my doorstep without any apparent bad feeling and that was all I wanted.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Anne D.

I've only gotten one set of door-to-door proselytizers as an adult--Mormons. I wasn't busy at the time and actually really enjoyed talking to them. They gave up fairly quickly, though. I remember a couple times when I was little and my dad seemed to take a perverse glee in inviting the door-to-door folks in to debate (they were mostly Jehovah's Witnesses in the town I grew up in), although I can't really remember the conversations. Wish I could ask him about that now.