News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Dealing with the condescending...

Started by MinnesotaMike, August 27, 2011, 07:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melmoth

Quote from: Crow
Quote from: TankHitchins is very much a 'Marmite', character. There are times though when it's good to have a storm tooper up front.

So true, he is entertaining to listen to linguistically but I always get the feeling he really really loves the smell of his own farts.

Also, great public speaker though he is, he's a terrible writer. God is Not Great, especially, could be condensed into a leaflet. He just waffles on and on, around and around the same point, describing very simple ideas in overly complicated ways.

edit.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Melmoth on September 01, 2011, 02:57:40 PM
Quote from: MinnesotaMikehow do you guys deal with it (if you find it frustrating as well)?

I try not to take my own ideas too seriously. That way, first, I can remain a fairly cool and neutral thinker and, second, I don't mind so much when people are dismissive. A lot of atheists are more emotionally invested in their world view than they realise, I think.

I acually don't run into trouble until people distriminate or say untrue, ignorant things about homosexuals.

I agree with Mike. I'm not expecting them to change their religion, but if you could just open their eyes a little to the lies beyond their church.  Sometimes pepple find their own way  out of religious superstsion. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 01, 2011, 05:14:18 PM
I agree with Mike. I'm not expecting them to change their religion, but if you could just open their eyes a little to the lies beyond their church.  Sometimes pepple find their own way  out of religious superstsion. :)

This, right here, is exactly what happened with me. Perhaps that's why I choose to interact the way I do; it's the only way I can see them changing.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Sweetdeath

That's how I feel. Being assertive and forceful only pushes people closer to religion and its lies.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

I think that trying to find the common ground with some groups of people to be tough, but it comes down to if you want or need them for any reason (and unfortunately, theists do outnumber us and are better organised) then you have to take a more diplomatic approach to things. It's counter productive to do what Dawkins, Hitchens and those who identify with the 'new atheist movement' as they call themselves do.

Doesn't mean that you have to sit and listen to what idiots have to say.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Melmoth

Quote from: xSilverPhinxI think that trying to find the common ground with some groups of people to be tough, but it comes down to if you want or need them for any reason (and unfortunately, theists do outnumber us and are better organised) then you have to take a more diplomatic approach to things. It's counter productive to do what Dawkins, Hitchens and those who identify with the 'new atheist movement' as they call themselves do.

I quite like Daniel Dennett. He's always struck me as diplomatic and polite, yet interesting enough to pull it off. Critics of 'new atheism' also tend to avoid grappling with him, I think, because he's the most well-informed and his area of expertise is the most relevant. We can dismiss Dawkins for being philosophically shoddy, Hitchens for being so aggressive about religion that it borders on hysteria, Sam Harris for being a wet cabbage leaf, but I can't think of a good criticism for Dennett.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Tank

Quote from: Melmoth on September 02, 2011, 03:33:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinxI think that trying to find the common ground with some groups of people to be tough, but it comes down to if you want or need them for any reason (and unfortunately, theists do outnumber us and are better organised) then you have to take a more diplomatic approach to things. It's counter productive to do what Dawkins, Hitchens and those who identify with the 'new atheist movement' as they call themselves do.

I quite like Daniel Dennett. He's always struck me as diplomatic and polite, yet interesting enough to pull it off. Critics of 'new atheism' also tend to avoid grappling with him, I think, because he's the most well-informed and his area of expertise is the most relevant. We can dismiss Dawkins for being philosophically shoddy, Hitchens for being so aggressive about religion that it borders on hysteria, Sam Harris for being a wet cabbage leaf, but I can't think of a good criticism for Dennett.
Spot on, getting upset with Dennett would be like getting upset with Father Christmas when he's just brought you a great present.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Melmoth

Can you imagine getting a hug from him? It'd be amazing. You'd get lost in that fuzzy beard and come out a different person.

OldGit

xSilverPhinx

I guess that's why you hardly hear apologists mention him that often.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Melmoth on September 02, 2011, 02:30:12 PM
Can you imagine getting a hug from him? It'd be amazing. You'd get lost in that fuzzy beard and come out a different person.
Just like my trip to Narnia. :)

MinnesotaMike

Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Melmoth

Tank

Quote from: Melmoth on September 03, 2011, 11:35:42 AM
What's a "closet joke"?
One gets into Narnia through a magic wardrobe (aka closet), hence closet joke  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on August 27, 2011, 07:02:44 PM
-"A pair of hands at work will accomplish more than a thousand folded in prayer."

This actually sounds like an atheist saying to me -- wouldn't it be the other way around for a theist?

In any case I don't discuss religion with most people, it's just not worthwhile to me.  I have no issue with what theists believe unless it affects the law somehow (breaking it, or trying to base it on their religion, that sort of thing).  In any case, when I do come up against condescending crap I just remind myself that they're entitled to their opinion, and sometimes I remind them of that too, if I think it needs to be made clear that their opinion is not mine. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany