News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Dealing with the condescending...

Started by MinnesotaMike, August 27, 2011, 07:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on August 28, 2011, 08:56:15 AM
I'll pass on the question to TheAnyKey, since he's a native!
Let's hope he spots this once he's a 10+ member.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 08:43:08 PM
Bad manners know no bounds. Condescending people come in all shapes and sizes, Christopher Hitchins springs to mind right...
Hitchens is my hero. It is sometimes uncanny how the two of us think alike. If I only had the classes and experience in rhetoric (as he does), I'd be styling. Is he condescending? Arrogant? Yup! And I love it! Finally, someone that has the balls for hard debate tactics in public. And like Hitchens, who doesn't turn the other cheek, I'm sick and tired of walking away from or giving false respect or meekly stating my side to condescending and arrogant theists. So, many times I return the sentiment.
A simple example of returning arrogance is:
Xtian: There is only one god.
Me: That's the epitome of Christian arrogance.

Simple as that. And if they want to step further into the debate world with me, I'm happy for them....even though...I am nearly sure it won't make one bit of difference to them. But at least I stayed my ground, in their face as theirs in mine.

I get the biggest kick and satisfaction in watching Hitchens debate. Smug, arrogant, condscending, regular Joe...and right. He knows he's right, we know he's right and when you look at the faces of some of his debate foes, they know he's right (at least in certain circumstances or issues). The Dawkins intellectual type of stuff is all fine and dandy. But in Hitchens, the regular atheist off the street will connect much quicker, and we need that here in the worst way.

My opinions...of course...
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

Hitchins is very much a 'Marmite', character. There are times though when it's good to have a storm tooper up front.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MinnesotaMike

Perhaps I'm naive, but the goal isn't to win debates, it's to win over people. Grabbing a theist by the metaphorical balls and getting into a big argument is not the proper way to do so. Talk with them, figure out what exactly they believe and why, then have a rational discussion. I don't go around poking theists with a stick to see what happens, nor do I believe that's the best course of action. Even while engaged in discussion, if it turns ugly (which it inevitably will sometimes), I think its best to be the person to bring the conversation back to reason. But if they're dismissive and not willing altogether, then I don't see how it's worth the effort.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Gawen

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on August 28, 2011, 05:44:45 PM
Perhaps I'm naive, but the goal isn't to win debates, it's to win over people...Talk with them, figure out what exactly they believe and why, then have a rational discussion. 
You're not naive at all. But the goal to win a debate, whether on the forums or a street corner or with theists friends dictates the style you'll choose. And we may never always win a debate, but as long as we've planted that seed of doubt, it works for me.

QuoteGrabbing a theist by the metaphorical balls and getting into a big argument is not the proper way to do so.
When they grab mine, I'm grabbing back. Been there, done it.

QuoteI don't go around poking theists with a stick to see what happens, nor do I believe that's the best course of action.
I do, quite a lot. It's not a very big stick, mind you. More like a feeler.

QuoteEven while engaged in discussion, if it turns ugly (which it inevitably will sometimes), I think its best to be the person to bring the conversation back to reason. But if they're dismissive and not willing altogether, then I don't see how it's worth the effort.
That may be fine where you live. Perhaps theists in Minnesota are a bit more progressive. Down here, that's not the case most of the time.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

fester30

I don't have time for dealing with obviously feeble-minded theists who think they are better than me.  I'm way too good for that.

xSilverPhinx

Holier than thou, anyone?

I think it's especially more difficult for a theist who believes that her or she has a personal relationship with the creator of the universe and existence to be humble. I admire those who can actually pull it off ;D

Quote from: fester30 on August 28, 2011, 09:52:39 PM
I don't have time for dealing with obviously feeble-minded theists who think they are better than me.  I'm way too good for that.

Not even when they won't leave you alone?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on August 27, 2011, 07:02:44 PM
I've a quick question for my fellow rationalists on here: how do you remain so in the face of incredible disrespect?
Because I have problems in knowing how to act normally in social situations, I tend to treat the people I'm talking to the same way they are treating me or the other people they're talking to. There are certain behaviors I will not perform, but the general politeness in a conversation with me is driven by the other person (with certain exeptions of lines I will not cross). So if someone is being condescending to me, I often will be condescending to them. If they insult me, I will often insult them. However I refrain from logical fallacies no matter how many logical fallacies they commit. One behavior that comes naturally to me that I rarely see others do, is that I tend to point out the logical fallacies one is commiting as well as concede when one points to my fallacies.

I'm still working on this one aspect of my behavior problems, and this forum with rules for civility helps me practice it. I've often been described as "there's just something about the way you talk that makes me want to hit you." I've received many a threat to bodily harm and even my life. So far only bodily harm has been acted upon (and not very effectively). So even though this is how I deal with it, it's most likely not the approach for most people's desired end result.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

fester30

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 28, 2011, 10:08:37 PM

I think it's especially more difficult for a theist who believes that her or she has a personal relationship with the creator of the universe and existence to be humble. I admire those who can actually pull it off ;D

I think you missed the point.  I was showing that I can be condescending when speaking of condescending people.  In fact, my condescension is directly related to their condescension. 

Medusa

Quote from: fester30 on August 29, 2011, 11:38:06 PM

I think you missed the point.  I was showing that I can be condescending when speaking of condescending people.  In fact, my condescension is directly related to their condescension. 
I got the tongue in cheek. Quite funny!
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: fester30 on August 29, 2011, 11:38:06 PM

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

fester30

Sweetdeath

:o  big sis!
In any case, I agree with fester.  For the most part, I don't waste my time or brain power attempting to convince theists of reason and logic.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on August 28, 2011, 02:12:50 PM
Hitchins is very much a 'Marmite', character. There are times though when it's good to have a storm tooper up front.

So true, he is entertaining to listen to linguistically but I always get the feeling he really really loves the smell of his own farts.
Retired member.

Melmoth

Quote from: MinnesotaMikehow do you guys deal with it (if you find it frustrating as well)?

I try not to take my own ideas too seriously. That way, first, I can remain a fairly cool and neutral thinker and, second, I don't mind so much when people are dismissive. A lot of atheists are more emotionally invested in their world view than they realise, I think.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.