News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Priests who lose their faith

Started by Cirio, August 14, 2016, 04:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: No one on August 15, 2016, 07:51:36 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 15, 2016, 06:34:04 AM
Quote from: No one on August 14, 2016, 10:47:11 PM
Why not?  I call them like I see them.  The human being is an insignificant insect mammal.  If you don't like the way life is,  too bad.

:fixed:

Thanks,  but I was using the term in the most demeaning way possible. I know humans aren't literally insects,  but cosmically speaking, it describes them pretty well.  Actually, if you think about it, they are straight up microscopic.
I got your point. Couldn't keep my inner geek at bay.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Sometimes my points are like a thorn in one's side.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

Are you laughing with me,  or at me?

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

Davin

Because your statement was hilarious.

No one

Velma

Quote from: Gloucester on August 15, 2016, 05:44:57 PM
Quote from: OldGit on August 15, 2016, 05:21:53 PM
Quote from: VelmaIt is easy to sit back and judge. However, these people are leaving the only life they have known for years. It is not done easily or lightly. If keeping a job that provides food, clothing, and shelter for me and my family requires faking it for a time, then so be it. Heck, it is not like the flock is living in the light of truth as it is.

I agree.  Also, is there really a clear point in time when faith must be considered lost?  Or rather, would there not be a fuzzy area in which nothing is clear enough to make  life-changing decisions?
And as with any break with a deeply held belief, admitting to one's self that, "It is all over," can be a life shattering event, full of guilt. It is natural for some to attempt to maintain the status quo, put it off.
That first moment I realized I was an atheist was a bit scary. Actually, my first thought was, "Oh my god, I'm going to hell!" Then I laughed very hard at myself and went to get the laundry out of the dryer. After that, I had no guilt, just some scars and issues to deal with. That took a few more years and is another story entirely.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

No one

I think I was about 8 or 9 when I realized that I didn't hold the same beliefs as the birth givers.