News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The LHC

Started by jcm, December 20, 2007, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcm

Have any of you heard about what is going on at CERN? Next year the LHC will conduct an experiment that may uncover answers to questions scientists have yet to answer. From what I have read, scientists are looking for several items like the Higgs boson (responsible for mass), extra dimensions and other things. I hope that this experiment will be successful in uncovering something new. Like most new discoveries, however, this will lead to even more unanswered questions. I wonder if we will ever be satisfied with what we know. Do you think there will ever be a point where we say “ok, now we know everything”? Even if we don’t find anything, I am very excited to see the experiment happen. I really like that we humans will spend this much time, energy, and money on experiments for pure knowledge.    

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_fJ6PMfnz2E
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

SteveS

Quote from: "jcm"I wonder if we will ever be satisfied with what we know.  Do you think there will ever be a point where we say “ok, now we know everything”?
Seems hard to imagine.  How would we ever know that we know everything?  Or maybe I have this backwards - if you know everything, you would know that you know everything, right?  :wink:  

Quote from: "jcm"I really like that we humans will spend this much time, energy, and money on experiments for pure knowledge.
I agree whole-heartedly.  The pursuit of knowledge is one of the things that makes us valuable to me.  I think it is one of our best qualities  :wink:

Steve Reason

I believe that we're capable of knowing everything that's worth knowing; or maybe I should say we'll eventually be capable of knowing everything. Whether that will ever come to fruition or not is another question--for many reasons.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

ryanvc76

Quote from: "SteveS"Seems hard to imagine.  How would we ever know that we know everything?

God will tell you.   :lol:    

Afterall, the religious ones claim they know everything already! :roll:
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

tacoma_kyle

CERN?

I couldnt watch the link because I have lousy net here, but is that that multi-national 'sciene project' in Europe that is sue to be finished soon? Builkt over two nations? I forgot what the name was... But werent they speculating on the possibility of creating a black hole?
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

SteveS

Quote from: "ryanvc76"
Quote from: "SteveS"Seems hard to imagine. How would we ever know that we know everything?
God will tell you.  :lol:  
Smart-arse!  (hehe - I had your same thought when I was typing that....)

So far, as near as I can tell, God ain't told me diddley-squat (to put it in proper English  :wink:  ).  But maybe that's just because I'm not "accepting him in my heart"?

jcm

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"CERN?

I couldnt watch the link because I have lousy net here, but is that that multi-national 'sciene project' in Europe that is sue to be finished soon? Builkt over two nations? I forgot what the name was... But werent they speculating on the possibility of creating a black hole?

yeah they said black holes might be created, but they would disappear in a fraction of a second after they were made.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

tacoma_kyle

Damn I was hoping it would suck up part of Europia lol.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Girl Dancing In Orbit

QuoteI wonder if we will ever be satisfied with what we know. Do you think there will ever be a point where we say “ok, now we know everything”?

lol  :lol:

That's missing the point. As long as there will be unanswered questions why not try to answer them.

jcm

All for that, but I wonder how many questions we still should ask about how the universe works. I wonder how far along we are in understanding the universe. Do we have a long way to go or are we close to understanding everything?

SteveS

I think we've still got some serious ground to cover.  What is dark matter, dark energy?  Is the universe cyclical?  Did it have a beginning, even if its cyclical?  If not, what happened at and before the big bang?  Was there even a "before the big bang", or does that not even make sense?  Are there really parallel universes?  How can we tell?  Are quantum events truly random, or can they be precisely predicted?

I think all these question about the universe are currently unanswered, and I think they are tremendously interesting.  If the past is any guide, answering these questions will raise even more questions, so yeah, I think we're going to be working on this for a good long time  :wink: