News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Paco del Lucia in concert

Started by McQ, April 10, 2012, 08:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

I am so jazzed!

Getting ready to leave the house and head into Philly to see this guy tonight:

http://www.kimmelcenter.org/events/index.php?id=4094

I know it's a niche taste in the grand scheme of music, but I absolutely love this!

Yes, the normally grumpy, furrowed brow McQ will be doing the happy dance shortly. Please don't try to picture it, it might be painful to imagine!

;D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

BonaireBound

so how was it?!?! yes Paco is amazing. Tomorrow night I am going to see Leo Kotke (also kind of a niche taste but absolutely amazing). I got his autograph last year.

McQ

It's hard to describe this concert because it was so different from what I've seen in the past with other musicians. First of all, the place was sold out, although there were technically quite a few empty seats. But it is an enormous hall, so the crowd was really big.

Paco came out solo for the first piece. Just walked out, started tuning up, and morphed into a beautiful solo piece. Then his other musicians came out (one drummer (all hand drums), one guitarist, one bass player, two singers, one keyboardist/harmonica, and one Flamenco dancer)).

After that, the night became one long, amazing tapestry of incredible sound. The music was moving to the Nth degree. The singing and playing was all virtuoso, and let's just say the Flamenco dancer was utterly beyond human! I was completely absorbed the entire time. There was no intermission - they just played for two hours. Even odder is that there was zero interaction from Paco with the audience, something I would normally eviscerate a performer for in a review. But somehow it worked last night.

He got a close to five minute standing ovation which brought him back out for a terrific encore, and then it was all over.

The music was such a beautiful mix from straight Flamenco through classical and jazz. Just awesome.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

BonaireBound

Quote from: McQ on April 11, 2012, 09:07:39 PM
It's hard to describe this concert because it was so different from what I've seen in the past with other musicians. First of all, the place was sold out, although there were technically quite a few empty seats. But it is an enormous hall, so the crowd was really big.

Paco came out solo for the first piece. Just walked out, started tuning up, and morphed into a beautiful solo piece. Then his other musicians came out (one drummer (all hand drums), one guitarist, one bass player, two singers, one keyboardist/harmonica, and one Flamenco dancer)).

After that, the night became one long, amazing tapestry of incredible sound. The music was moving to the Nth degree. The singing and playing was all virtuoso, and let's just say the Flamenco dancer was utterly beyond human! I was completely absorbed the entire time. There was no intermission - they just played for two hours. Even odder is that there was zero interaction from Paco with the audience, something I would normally eviscerate a performer for in a review. But somehow it worked last night.

He got a close to five minute standing ovation which brought him back out for a terrific encore, and then it was all over.

The music was such a beautiful mix from straight Flamenco through classical and jazz. Just awesome.

WOW! Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the vivid review, I feel like I was there! So glad you enjoyed it.