News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Human Rights

Started by Michael Reilly, March 28, 2012, 12:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

What's with all the red font and disrespect for the counters?

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 28, 2012, 03:32:24 PM
What's with all the red font and disrespect for the counters?
Did I miss something?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Just as it was explained om the previous page, science and the chemicals in our bodies explain feelings such as empathy and compassion. Personal life experience molds us as well.
There is divine spark or souls.

We , as humans, often put ourselves and loved ones in certain situations. As a woman, I fight for gender equality. As a lesbian, I fight for equal human rights in love, marriage, etc.

These are my experiences because I dont want the people I love to deal with sex discrimination and biggots who dislike homosexuals for idiotic reasons.

This is my spark. It is not divine.  It is  just me.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Michael Reilly

QuoteThese are my experiences because I dont want the people I love to deal with sex discrimination and biggots who dislike homosexuals for idiotic reasons.

Isn't love just a bunch of chemicals? Is it 'true' that you love people? If so, how can you prove it?

@Tank:
QuoteThe highlighted comment was completely irrelevant to the discussion while being patronising and possibly derisive. It would be appreciated if you would refrain from such commentary in the future. Thanks Tank

My apologies; I was just trying to be funny. Epic fail.

Sweetdeath

I love people by being selfless and caring. I share my material items (videogames, comics, concert passes). I share my feelings of wanting to be there for them.

Dont try to pull the "prove love" card. It wont work on me :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Michael Reilly

My point above was that some things are true even though we can't prove them. I have no doubt that you love people. You cant, however, prove it, unless you have some slide with a bunch of neurotransmitters on it. "See! I love her! Look! Seratonin!"

I hope you take my point. I can't prove that women should be allowed to vote, yet I still believe it to be true. There are moral truths.  That's what I'm saying.

I

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 06:51:28 PM
QuoteThese are my experiences because I dont want the people I love to deal with sex discrimination and biggots who dislike homosexuals for idiotic reasons.

Isn't love just a bunch of chemicals? Is it 'true' that you love people? If so, how can you prove it?

The truth is in the experience. Love might "just" be a bunch of chemicals, patterns in my brain and social constructs that I've absorbed, but that doesn't make it mean any less to me. It doesn't matter why I feel love, only that I do and that it matters to me. I know that I'm genetically programmed to find my son cute; to want to protect him and nurture him. But that doesn't cheapen the joy I feel when I hear him laugh or diminish the fulfillment I feel as he grows into a little person.   If anything, it makes me feel more connected to the process. I know it's not "magic", it's something real that I am physically, intrinsically tied to.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Michael Reilly

You find meaning in your experience. So do I. We have the same meaning (I have two little ones) but label our experiences differently. You can't prove love, and I can't prove a divine spark.

I am fine with that. I said before: I don't care why people do things. I care that they do them.

I'm probably the wrong Christian to be arguing with you all. You should chum the water and attract some fundamentalists.

DeterminedJuliet

Well, love is an abstraction and you can't really "prove" an abstraction.
But chemicals/brain physiology/ social conditioning make more sense to me than something magical in defining that abstraction.
You're entitled to your own definition, but you did ask  :) 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

DeterminedJuliet

P.S. fundamentalists usually don't stick around for long here because we aren't inflammatory enough for their liking (usually).

Though, we did have a recent poster who seemed determined to use us towards his martyr complex. He got very frustrated when we wouldn't  ban him without him breaking the rules. Not naming any names .

The Magic Pudding

I'd have thought the house of sticks would have stood up.
Straw houses are pretty chunky too.

Tank

@Tank:
QuoteThe highlighted comment was completely irrelevant to the discussion while being patronising and possibly derisive. It would be appreciated if you would refrain from such commentary in the future. Thanks Tank

My apologies; I was just trying to be funny. Epic fail.
Not an 'epic' fail. You got my morning moderation phase, pre-coffee  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Measure the chemicals.

Stevil

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 06:57:34 PM
My point above was that some things are true even though we can't prove them. I have no doubt that you love people. You cant, however, prove it, unless you have some slide with a bunch of neurotransmitters on it.
That smells like proof.

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 06:57:34 PM
I hope you take my point. I can't prove that women should be allowed to vote, yet I still believe it to be true. There are moral truths. 
Just because Michael Reilly believes something to be true that doesn't magically make it a moral truth.
"...should be allowed to..." denotes that this is your opinion. Opinions are like arse holes, we have all got one.
You will find that there are many men whom believe that women shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Catholics believe that women shouldn't be in the priesthood and that men in church shouldn't be accountable to women in the church. Many Catholics think females shouldn't be alter girls.
There are many people that would never vote for a female president or prime minister.
Where are your moral truths now, they seem to have scattered in the foul wind, for that I must appologise, too many beans last night.

Michael Reilly

Man, the flatulence dismissal. This is like getting jumped into a gang: I stand in the middle of a circle of atheists, and they all start punching me. Then, one farts at me.

Oh, humanity.