News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What Is Your Life's Purpose? Why Are You Here?

Started by Truthseeker, February 29, 2012, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on March 01, 2012, 01:33:58 PM
Quote from: Amicale on March 01, 2012, 01:53:45 AM

My daughter (who probably didn't understand the question, I asked her over the phone, lol): "I love kitty cats and my toys and BOOKS!"

:D
Why do we ever bother to grow up!

:D When it comes right down to it, kittycats, toys (ie, electronic gadgets, but still), and books still rank high up there for being reasons I enjoy life!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

My daughter (who probably didn't understand the question, I asked her over the phone, lol): "I love kitty cats and my toys and BOOKS!"

I blame mirrors, awful things.

Truthseeker

Just for fun, I asked these questions of family members this evening. Their replies made me smile.

My mom: "to get as much sleep as possible. Morning comes early! Oh, and to eat good food, listen to good music, and love my friends and my family."

My grandma (pointing to my grandfather): "Why am I here? To bug the hell out of him!"

My grandfather (pointing to my grandma): "And I'm apparently here to put up with HER incessant chatter!"

My aunt: "I'm here to drink REALLY good wine."

Those are great Amicale!  Sounds like you have a family with a sense of humor.  Reunions must be a kick in the pants. 
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Amicale

Quote from: Truthseeker on March 02, 2012, 01:17:46 AM
Just for fun, I asked these questions of family members this evening. Their replies made me smile.

My mom: "to get as much sleep as possible. Morning comes early! Oh, and to eat good food, listen to good music, and love my friends and my family."

My grandma (pointing to my grandfather): "Why am I here? To bug the hell out of him!"

My grandfather (pointing to my grandma): "And I'm apparently here to put up with HER incessant chatter!"

My aunt: "I'm here to drink REALLY good wine."

Those are great Amicale!  Sounds like you have a family with a sense of humor.  Reunions must be a kick in the pants. 

Ha, thanks, they made me laugh.  :D Yeah, family get togethers are always loud, crazy, often funny, and once or twice when a good natured argument's burst forth, a literal kick in the pants has indeed occurred.  ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 02, 2012, 12:11:34 AM

I blame mirrors, awful things.
I saw some chap on the TV complaining about the fact that a 25 year old looked in the mirror but a 70 year old looked back :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 29, 2012, 01:14:07 PM
My life's goal is to enjoy it while it lasts.

This. ^
Make some money. Have some sex.  Not die in an embarrassing manner. That's all. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 02, 2012, 05:30:45 PM

This. ^
Make some money. Have some sex.  Not die in an embarrassing manner. That's all. :)
Surely money can't be your end goal, can it?

Money is a means to an end.

Guardian85

This. ^

Do your job. Get paid. Get laid.  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Truthseeker

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 02, 2012, 06:58:49 PM

This. ^

Do your job. Get paid. Get laid.  ;D

Surely your life means more than that Gaurdian.  I do not see beer mentioned.  What about beer?  For god sake man.  Libations.

Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Guardian85

Of course good food and drink are important, too.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Firebird

The truth is I have no idea why I'm here. And that's kinda cool. Because considering how huge this universe is, how tiny and insignificant we are, and how many other sperm were competing with me right at that moment when I happened to make it, I shouldn't be here. Can I really have gotten that lucky? If so, damn!
If not, then why? I have no idea. All I do know is that all those people who say they know are full of shit, and I feel good knowing that I didn't buy into it.
Oh, and to drink.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

DeterminedJuliet

She has a good sense of priorities!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Truthseeker

Quote from: Firebird on March 02, 2012, 11:19:29 PM
The truth is I have no idea why I'm here. And that's kinda cool. Because considering how huge this universe is, how tiny and insignificant we are, and how many other sperm were competing with me right at that moment when I happened to make it, I shouldn't be here. Can I really have gotten that lucky? If so, damn!  If not, then why? I have no idea. All I do know is that all those people who say they know are full of shit, and I feel good knowing that I didn't buy into it.

I think some people may be looking at the subject of this thread as something divinely inspired or the answer is some spiritually bestowed one.  That was not my intent at all.  I left that behind with my Christian past.  "Why are you here?" should be answered and inspired by you and you alone.  I was just curious who on the board here had derived some reason, goal, objective, purpose for the time they have left to live.     

QuoteOh, and to drink.

See.  There is a purpose right there.  And a damn good one at that.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Stevil on March 02, 2012, 06:15:15 PM
Make some money. Have some sex. :)
Surely money can't be your end goal, can it?

Money is a means to an end.

It seems a perfectly reasonable rewording of the classic wisdom, "first you get the money, then you get the woman."  I usually associate that with a guttural accent but that's just my bias, there is no reason it shouldn't be pink.

Anne D.

I very much understand the desire to establish meaning for one's life. I'm always thinking that I should assign my life some purposeful meaning, or at least figure out a guiding principle for myself, as I often feel lost at sea. I know a great deal about what I'm not but not a whole lot about what I am.

Two ideals for living what I'd consider a good life are doing something that helps someone else/"giving back" to the community and having at least a cursory knowledge of what's going on in one's community/one's country/and the world so that one can be an informed voter (I still cling to this silly idea that my vote matters despite all evidence that the candidate with the most money wins).

To be honest, though, these must not be my real values, as my efforts at "giving back" to my community have been sporadic and lackluster at best, and I generally do only so-so on the keeping informed thing. I think I am a lazy hedonist at heart.

And yes, I am two Dogfishhead IPAs in. Why do you ask?