News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

"Be Suspicious of Stories"

Started by Recusant, January 17, 2012, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

This is a TED talk from a fellow named Tyler Cowen. It was posted on a history site that I belong to, but some here may find it interesting as well. It's not too long; only 16 ½ minutes.

Tyler Cowen: Be suspicious of stories | Video on TED.com
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gawen

I heard a story from an economist named Cowen. The last thing he said was "You're really not on a journey here (life is not a journey). You're here for some reason or messy reasons. And maybe, like, you don't know what it is and maybe I don't know what it is..."

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of the subject matter and the ideas behind it.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Crow

I watched a video about a person on a quest to make us aware of the dangers of stories and all I could think about was his hair.

(edit) Good video though.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Just now I watched a TED talk about a guy who should really shave off that island on his head.

Seriously now, I think what he said is food for thought. You see people around you living their narratives and it's almost amusing (I'm not, of course ;) )

Christians can't go one day without being nailed to the cross.

The locals here where I live are all fierce warriors.

I'm a person on a quest to fight off evil ignorance and ultimately triumph over evil monsters ;D

I like stories.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Interesting.  I have to say that his hair didn't bother me at all but I'm not used to economists being so funny.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Wessik

Beware of stories...? That's dumb. Stories are all we have.
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Recusant

Quote from: Wessik on January 17, 2012, 09:24:13 PM
Beware of stories...? That's dumb. Stories are all we have.

I disagree. We have research/examination of multiple perspectives, straight-forward observation ~~> communication of raw data, and poetry, to name some alternatives to stories off the top of my head. Cowen is saying that we should strive to avoid being seduced by the (often one-sided) linear narrative which is a hallmark of the story. I think that his point is that reality is by its nature messier than stories, and that when we allow ourselves to always think in terms of stories (he acknowledges that this seems to be a basic common human way of looking at the world), we can miss nuance and possibly essential information which doesn't fit into the story line.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gawen

Quote from: RecusantCowen is saying that we should strive to avoid being seduced by the (often one-sided) linear narrative which is a hallmark of the story. I think that his point is that reality is by its nature messier than stories, and that when we allow ourselves to always think in terms of stories (he acknowledges that this seems to be a basic common human way of looking at the world), we can miss nuance and possibly essential information which doesn't fit into the story line.
Well, that makes sense. Why didn't he just say that?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gawen on January 18, 2012, 12:27:48 AM
Quote from: RecusantCowen is saying that we should strive to avoid being seduced by the (often one-sided) linear narrative which is a hallmark of the story. I think that his point is that reality is by its nature messier than stories, and that when we allow ourselves to always think in terms of stories (he acknowledges that this seems to be a basic common human way of looking at the world), we can miss nuance and possibly essential information which doesn't fit into the story line.
Well, that makes sense. Why didn't he just say that?

He did. ;D

I found the talk to be interesting in fact. He also acknowledges that his TED talk will be part of other people's stories and goes into how people often ignore or are simply unaware of how they over-simplify things.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Gawen on January 17, 2012, 12:34:57 PM
I heard a story from an economist named Cowen. The last thing he said was "You're really not on a journey here (life is not a journey). You're here for some reason or messy reasons. And maybe, like, you don't know what it is and maybe I don't know what it is..."
Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of the subject matter and the ideas behind it.
that's exactly what I thought, here's a guy telling me a story that I should be suspicious about stories...I am suspicious of stories, including his!

Amicale

Eh, I prefer a balanced approach. Research, critical thought, the scientific method, etc are all wonderful. They're essential, and we need them.

However, we also need a relatable way to communicate them, and although just presenting the raw data is a viable option... using stories is another option, too. The use of a narrative makes research memorable -- consider any historical event, and you'll probably be able to make sense of the numbers, the data and the facts if you hear the stories of the people involved in the events. We've just got to always keep in mind that stories, by their very nature, are biased due to perspective. If you and I see an event happen, we'll both tell slightly different stories for many different reasons.

That being said... I enjoy stories in and of themselves, aside from the good uses we can put them to. To me, stories connect humans together, and sometimes, they're delightfully escapist. They also stick in my head and rarely leave. Not to mention their being downright interesting, funny and occasionally horrifying or uplifting.  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan