News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

American Cancer Society snubs atheist money?

Started by Gawen, November 03, 2011, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Life as an atheist is a second class citizen, or so the ACS seems to think.
QuoteThe ACS has been stung by accusations of anti-atheist bigotry in its fundraising. Is it making things worse by trying to cover its tracks?
http://www.alternet.org/story/152914/has_the_american_cancer_society_been_caught_covering_up_a_rejection_of_atheist_money/?page=entire

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Whitney

I crossed ACS off of organizations I support because of this....and I was about to organize another relay team.  What concerns me most is how does such blatant discrimination affect other aspects of their charity work.  And, yes, the way ACS has handled this has only made the issue progressively worse.

Komen and Livestrong are both reputable alternatives for anyone looking for a secular organization to support.

McQ

Quote from: Whitney on November 03, 2011, 02:36:22 PM
I crossed ACS off of organizations I support because of this....and I was about to organize another relay team.  What concerns me most is how does such blatant discrimination affect other aspects of their charity work.  And, yes, the way ACS has handled this has only made the issue progressively worse.

Komen and Livestrong are both reputable alternatives for anyone looking for a secular organization to support.

In my line of work, it's difficult to understand how organizations who depend on support would be stupid enough to act this way. But I've seen the ACS go from great organization to bloated, unwieldy, and obsolete in its performance. Too little of the money donated gets to where it needs to go with them. This further exemplifies how badly it's being run.

I give to, and volunteer with other groups, such as the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, and smaller non-profits, who get the funding to the people who need it most urgently, rather than to their executives.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Gawen

I simply do not understand organizations that are run like that.

What other organizations do this?

My wife gives to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Her grandma died from Leukemia.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor