News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Women in Saudi Arabia to vote and run in elections

Started by Tank, September 25, 2011, 05:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 27, 2011, 10:46:14 PM
Still, depressing how slow moving  that country is.  :(
Oh, they are not alone about that.  :-\
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Chronos

So everyone in Saudia Arabia gets a raise and women get to vote. Do you think they may be trying to prevent Arab Spring from arriving on their corner of the sand lot?
Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

Asmodean

I don't quite get it... Down with the dictators and then..?

Are people in Egypt, for instance, that much better off now than they were under Mubarak (Or however you spell that name)? Is unemployment reduced in Libya..? (Those can't even do their revolution right...)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on September 28, 2011, 06:59:44 AM
I don't quite get it... Down with the dictators and then..?

Are people in Egypt, for instance, that much better off now than they were under Mubarak (Or however you spell that name)? Is unemployment reduced in Libya..? (Those can't even do their revolution right...)

This is my issue; people who think democracy fixes or changes anything...
These countries are messed up from deep down, and need a lot more than a gov change of rule.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

As Churchill observed "Democracy is the worst form of government, until you consider the alternatives."
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on September 28, 2011, 09:10:03 AM
As Churchill observed "Democracy is the worst form of government, until you consider the alternatives."
Me, I think people quote him too much on that. There is such a thing as a competent monarch or dictator, for instance and as long as it works well enough, leave it the f**k alone. There is, after all, absolutely no guarantee that people in the country in question would be better off with democracy. As House said repeatedly, "People are idiots" and idiots, they sometimes elect a guy like GWB... Twice.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

People depend and trust their gov too much anyway.  There's no such thing as a non greed filled or corrupt gov really...  And no quick fix.

And maybe we should handle our own damn issues first; seeing as poverty is UP in america.  I dunno what's going on in UK.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 28, 2011, 04:41:08 PM
People depend and trust their gov too much anyway.  There's no such thing as a non greed filled or corrupt gov really...  And no quick fix.
Well, MY government is not filled with opportunistic assholes. However, democracy in Norway - a tiny country where everyone pretty much sees everything - can not be compared to democracy in Russia, where it doesn't work at all, or the US, where it works badly.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Lovely!  I have a great desire to live there in the future.

Asmodean

Is cold-ish and the speed limits are snail-like, but it's a nice place to live.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

KingPhilip

Quote from: Asmodean on September 30, 2011, 10:52:06 AM
Is cold-ish and the speed limits are snail-like, but it's a nice place to live.

I hate the cold and driving slow, but honestly they would be quite welcome in exchange for a competent government.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Asmodean

Quote from: KingPhilip on September 30, 2011, 11:55:35 AM
I hate the cold and driving slow, but honestly they would be quite welcome in exchange for a competent government.
That there is not too far from my sentiment.  8)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

I dont mind slow speed limits at all, but i'll have to adjust to cold. What are your summers like?