News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Common causes

Started by Abletony, July 25, 2011, 09:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abletony

I'm trying to think of a list of themes, causes, in fact anything which tends to unite people. All I can think of so far is politics and religion. Can anyone help?

Tank

Quote from: Abletony on July 25, 2011, 09:22:19 PM
I'm trying to think of a list of themes, causes, in fact anything which tends to unite people. All I can think of so far is politics and religion. Can anyone help?
Tragedy. Consider the 2005 tsunami.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Justin Beiber seems to unite many people for and against him.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on July 25, 2011, 09:29:50 PM
Justin Beiber seems to unite many people for and against him.
Which would be a form of tribalism?

Race has been another uniting factor.
Gender in the form of shared experience.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Abletony

Thanks. I've just done a search on wikipedia and you'd think there would be some sort of list somewhere, but there isn't.

Hidelight

The Magic Pudding

Aspiration and achievement.
It's said the moon landing united many people around the world, we were the people of Earth for a while.
Scientists often say science is a thing without borders, minds from warring nations can meet.

Medusa

Hate (the enemy of my enemy is my friend)
Money (if he can make it so can I)
Freebies (gimme gimme gimme )
War (I'll let the illegals sign up to my war and give them papers if they will just go and kill and die for me)
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

The Magic Pudding

Some cynically build common cause by taking a strong stand against say paedophilia, which will give credibility, then you can use this cred to push your own agenda on other issues.

Heroes and martyrs.