News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hi everyone

Started by palebluedot, July 15, 2011, 01:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palebluedot

Hi
I've been an Atheist for all of my life, except before I was old enough to make choices  (think I definitely saw through the stories from about age 7)

Fortunately my family were unreligious and not at all dogmatic.  I was encouraged to learn and question and take an interest in science so thankful for that.

I tend toward agnostic in terms of a Deity but still more turned on by quantum fluctuations than first cause.

Can't abide believers who think they know what's best for me and everyone else.

Feel sorry for those who believe but dont understand what their religion actually stands for. That's just lazy.

Have great admiration for those who have shaken off the dogma and started to think for themselves.

Just wish that politicians would be true to themselves and not feign faith just to collect votes.

I'm firm in my views but really enjoy being challenged and made to think abouot alternatives.

Happy to be among you good people

Tank

Hello pbd

See you're an acronym already.  ;D

Nice to se another scientifically minded rationalist arrive.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

palebluedot

Thanks T  (acronym??)

I want to post up an article by a PhD that I read recently concerning the inability of us so-called scientifically minded rationalist folk to appreciate spirituality.

I'm waiting till I get permission to post in the science section but if you are interested, the link is here for a sneak preview - allow an hour to read it properly - its 2 or 3 webpages in total

http://www.city-net.com/~alimhaq/text/religiospirituality1.htm

I have to say that this is the best bit of reasoning in favour of a spiritual dimension from a believer that I've seen in a long time.  It doesn't attempt to prove God, neither is it in my view any better as an explanation than Dawkin's crtitique of the human propensity to religion, but it did make me think.

I do think that I can identify the fatal flaw in the argument but I'd like to see what other's think beforehand, unless you want me to say.

Be warned, its heavy stuff but quite easy to follow if you concentrate

I thought this forum was the best place to invite opinion on this.

The Magic Pudding

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magnatar

Hello, you certainly are lucky to not been indoctrinated, like so many people who blindly follow religion.

Black36