News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Hi, I'm new:)

Started by SushiMouse, June 16, 2011, 03:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SushiMouse

So.... yeah. I'm an atheist and I'm 13 years old. My parents never really told me that I had to follow a certain religion. My dad is an atheist, and my mom doesn't really know what she believes in. I came here because I've been putting up with a lot of crap from kids at my school. When I try to reason with them, I feel like they don't even listen and just keep using scare tactics. So, anyway, there's that.

I love comic books. I love Batman to almost no end. Watchmen would probably be my favorite graphic novel. I like to play video games, and my favorite games are Fallout 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Bioshock. I'm interested in drawing, photography, glasswork, and just art in general. I'm not a big movie buff, so I don't have many favorites. I like mostly alternative and indie rock, like Franz Ferdinand, The Arctic Monkeys and Cage the Elephant.

Oh, and you can call me Quinn.

hismikeness

Welcome Quinn. I wish I had counted the number of hours I spent on Ocarina of Time. It would be staggering.

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Quinn.  As long as the scare tactics are only threats of eternal damnation, I'd say you aren't doing too bad. The kids at your school are just passing along the superstitious drivel that they've been fed since they were old enough to swallow it; you can't really blame them.  Only a few people at that age have developed the capacity to do some critical thinking.  Try not to antagonize the poor brainwashed youngsters though.  When people of any age feel that their beliefs are threatened, they can tend to get nasty.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Hi Quinn

I'll second Recesent's thoughts. You have obviously got past a superstitious world view while those around you have not. Your world view is a threat to them so you may have to learn to cultivate the tolerance view.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Being that you're thirteen, I'll assume you mean this Ninja Gaiden 2:

And not this Ninja Gaiden 2:

But I did like both of them.

Welcome to the forums.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Shy

Hi. Hope the harassment dies down. I'm in the Bible Belt, so there are only certain times I come out with my non-beliefs. They may try to burn me at the stake or something otherwise. Least you have a place to come where people understand.  :)

SushiMouse

Quote from: Davin on June 16, 2011, 04:46:32 PM
Being that you're thirteen, I'll assume you mean this Ninja Gaiden 2:
Yes, that Ninja Gaiden 2. :)

And thanks guys.

leedan

Hello Quinn,
Hats off to your parents. You may become a great benefit to the future of this planet. I have two children, one about your age. Every thread of information is laid out for them so they can make there own decisions when they are ready. Keep a good grip on reality and do your own thinking.  :)

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Hi, Quinn! Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your honestly. Sorry you have to deal with idiots at school, but sadly religious adults are even worse.

They say children are the future and I hope more kids as free thinking as you are born, so maybe religion can be abolished in our century.

Zelda is one of my fav game series ever (espesically A link to the past and Ocarina.) <3

-Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

bicycle

Hey man, don't worry about kids, they only result to nonsense because of their own insecurities, it's really not good to get into stuff like that with kids anyway...