News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Shark Gives Birth Despite Lack of Mate

Started by MommaSquid, September 18, 2007, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

How cool is this!

QuoteThe Arizona Republic
Betty Reid
Sept. 18, 2007

Students at Carl Hayden Community High School were stunned when a baby shark appeared in one of their fish tanks.

More amazing was that the mother shark had been in the tank alone for nearly four years.

Teacher Fredi Lajvardi and his Phoenix science students investigated and discovered that the birth is rare.

"As far as we know, we are the third case worldwide," Lajvardi said.

This type of birth is known as parthenogenesis, in which an unfertilized egg develops into a new pup, said Lajvardi, program manager for the Carl Hayden Center for Marine Science.

"The mother's gene divides in half and recombines with its own collection of genes to create a new individual," Lajvardi said. "Normally, it would recombine with the father's half of the gene. But because there is no father, the mother provided the other half."

It was a learning moment for students who saw firsthand last week how through parthenogenesis a species can reproduce when a mate isn't present.

The week-old pup, whom students have named Dawn, was born to a white-spotted bamboo shark named Twilight, who has lived in one of the school's marine-science classrooms.

"When we found out it hatched, everyone rushed the tank," said Kristen Shriner, a 17-year-old senior who has overseen the care of the mother shark.

She and other students have been e-mailing scientists to find out how to properly care for Dawn.

For now, Dawn will remain at the school; outside scientists have been invited to visit.

Linkage:  http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... k0918.html

Squid

This is the second instance of this I've heard of.  Parthenogenesis is pretty interesting.

Will

Jesus Shark!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SteveS

I sure hope this doesn't happen to my wife.  I might not even believe her if it did.  

Any woman (besides Mary of biblical fame) try this?  "No honey, its not like that!  I was a victim of parthenogenesis!  I have no idea why the baby looks like the pool boy!"

Steve Reason

Quote from: "SteveS"I sure hope this doesn't happen to my wife.  I might not even believe her if it did.  

Any woman (besides Mary of biblical fame) try this?  "No honey, its not like that!  I was a victim of parthenogenesis!  I have no idea why the baby looks like the pool boy!"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Whitney

Quote from: "Willravel"Jesus Shark!

That's what I was thinking

It is theoretically possible for this to happen in humans?

Dai

This puts a whole new spin on the old "Raptor Jesus" meem...

Mister Joy

I think it's a sign of the coming apocalypse, myself. I'm off to hide in a bunker with a bunch of ruthlessly loyal, brain dead followers & a truck full of guns to wait for Satan's hordes to come marching over the horizon.