News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Out of Africa Theory

Started by izult, September 13, 2007, 05:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

izult

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articl ... anID=sa027

I know the out of africa theory has been around for a while and i'm not entirely sure that this new evidence blows it completely out of the water but it does present an interesting case.

Squid

It doesn't really invalidate it at all, the expansion from Africa was via Eurasia.

Steve Reason

This isn't saying that we didn't have our beginnings in Africa, is it? Or did I miss something?
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Squid

Here's the deal with this study.  Based on crown detention of several specimens, they are asserting that Asia was a bed for the lineages migrating to Europe.  It doesn't say that these lineages didn't migrate out of Africa at all.  However, it does suggest we take a closer look at the impact of the asia area on the hominid migration.

To strengthen their case, they'd need to have their findings substantiated by other specimens independently - obviously more skeletal specimens such as skulls, jaws and post-cranial bones would definitely help.  They could also strengthen the case by correlating this with genetic findings as well.

Now, it is not beyond the scope of reason what they propose, not at all.  Asia has always had some specimens which made anthropologists go "hmmmmm".  However, this isn't invalidating the out of Africa hypothesis at all which has substantial support.  It is simply suggesting that this area be given more attention in relation to the migrations.

They even state plainly in the discussion portion:

QuoteThese populations were probably descendants of an ancient out-of-Africa exodus, rather than a later one at the end of the Early Pleistocene

What it lets us know is what many physical anthropologists have been saying for years - it's never simple or cut and dry.  Most people have an idea that the out of Africa hypothesis is just humans (that is many species of Homo, just sapiens sapiens) evolved in Africa and then dispersed evenly at a specific time - nope, much more complicated and "messier" than that.  Studies like this help in shaping a better idea of how it all went down.

Hopefully that clears up a bit of the confusion. Or confuse you even more.

Steve Reason

I savvy.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

SteveS

Squid - you surely helped clear up confusion, and added none, IMHO.  Your input remains as lucid as ever.  Thanks and cheers!

izult

learning to appreciate squid for sure.