News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 08, 2018, 04:11:43 AM
I recently changed my student loan payment plan to a lower monthly amount. Now that I no longer live with my parents I have other bills and was struggling come up with the money. I guess they took extra pity on me and decided to postpone payments to 2019. I'm a little relieved because that gives me a year to get my shit together and find a better job. I still plan on making payments throughout the year, but just not the 200 dollars a month that I was before.
Good idea.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

What's better than roses on your piano?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Dave

Quote from: No one on January 10, 2018, 04:30:37 PM

The old ones are the old ones...

:grin:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on January 10, 2018, 04:30:37 PM

That belongs in the punishable puns thread!  :foottap:

xSilverPhinx

Yesterday evening I watched the new Gary Oldman film, 'Darkest Hour', in the movie theater. Sitting next to me was a guy who kept on mansplaining the entire movie to his girlfriend.  ::)

::) ::) ::) ::) 

Icarus

The smartest guys mansplain only when asked to do so.  Otherwise the man is foolishly assuming that his lady is incapable of understanding a simple plot.  That is an assumption that can lead to divorce court or at least to a prolonged absence of sweetmeat. 

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 14, 2018, 11:38:10 AM
Yesterday evening I watched the new Gary Oldman film, 'Darkest Hour', in the movie theater. Sitting next to me was a guy who kept on mansplaining the entire movie to his girlfriend.  ::)

xSilverP, please allow me to explain...you know how much I admire you, but surely you understand that maybe from your viewpoint in the theatre what that man was doing was providing necessary insight into the events unfolding onscreen. Let's face it the man was probably a veteran, and therefore understood the nuances or details of the movie better than his girlfriend. It's a fact that even though women do serve in the military nowadays, that many more men obviously serve than do women.
Also, you are young and therefore possibly just misinterpreted was going on...hopefully though, you don't get upset by my remarks and make this bigger than it needs to be.

How To Mansplain In 6 Easy Steps

I hope I did that right!  8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

No one

jumbojak

The things that are on my mind are very nearly overwhelming.  I can't even say them out loud.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Velma

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 14, 2018, 11:38:10 AM

My husband has a masters degree in history. He's forgotten more about WWII that most people ever know. Knowing that I have an interest in history also, when we are watching movies or shows at home set in that time period, he will pause the television and give me a bit more background about a particular scene or explain why that particular ship, plane, gun, helmet, or other object is out of place. I find it fascinating. Plus we are at home and out conversation does not disrupt other's enjoyment of the film.

Doing so when the other person has not asked is rude. Doing so in the theater is also rude, and may just deserve a special level of hell.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Why it is that my mind seems to go all inquisitive and intellectual in the wee small hours!?

Once there used to be work to think about, then the evening to relax and veg out before the weekend chores. Some habits die hard after many decades.

At 3am onwards, after I have accepted that the Sandman has gone off duty for the night, warm in bed there is no incentive to get up and work (especially using the tablet to search, write and communicate on rather than the laptop) so single tasking is easier.I find all kinds of things buzzing through my mjnd - usualoy during or after visiting HAF! Unfortunately this is just another butterfly that flits through my mind, like all the other hundreds of things I want to study and do but cannot concentrate for long at a time on...

"Attention Deficient Hypo-active Disorder"?

Ecurb Noselrub

I've applied for the clinical ethics chair position in my hospital.  If selected, I would probably spend half my time in my current risk management job, and half in ethics.  Evaluating bio-ethical issues is a skill I've picked up over the past 7 years working here.  If I get the job, I'll probably go ahead and enroll in a Master's program online to give me some educational bona fides.  If I don't get it, I'll just keep dong the same thing I do now. 

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 16, 2018, 06:52:35 PM
I've applied for the clinical ethics chair position in my hospital.  If selected, I would probably spend half my time in my current risk management job, and half in ethics.  Evaluating bio-ethical issues is a skill I've picked up over the past 7 years working here.  If I get the job, I'll probably go ahead and enroll in a Master's program online to give me some educational bona fides.  If I don't get it, I'll just keep dong the same thing I do now.

Good luck, Bruce!

No advantages in doing the masters whilst your present job? Or do you need a salary upgrade?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dave on January 16, 2018, 06:58:29 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 16, 2018, 06:52:35 PM

Good luck, Bruce!

No advantages in doing the masters whilst your present job? Or do you need a salary upgrade?

The Master's would be in Medical Ethics.  No reason to spend money on it unless I'm getting paid to do the job.  What I need more than a salary upgrade is a break from risk management.  A 50% break would be better than none at all.   There would always be the possibility that it would develop into a full-time job.  That would be part of my goal in that position - make the ethics endeavor of the hospital more robust.