News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Rift Zone

Quote from: Bluenose on April 16, 2018, 12:26:02 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on April 15, 2018, 06:10:22 PM
in the standard model of qm, the photon is the particle that carries the electromagnetic force...    this means magnets should glow, independent of black body radiation, which is cool AF...    except magnets don't glow.

Basic error.  A photon is not an actual particle.  It is a specific excitation of the electromagnetic field that propagates through space at speed c and exhibits particle like behaviour in certain circumstances, but not in others. Because your premise is false, your conclusion is likewise false.
fake photons, huh?   hmm...   that would explain the lack of glow.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Today was supposed to be my day off but I have a three hour online meeting over fraud that I have to go to. Luckily I get to go to the local branch in the town that I live instead of driving to the branch that I work at 35 miles away. It's kind of weird being with a new group of people though.

Edit- It was scheduled for 9am EST and they changed it to 10am last minute. Now I'm sitting here looking busy because I don't feel like going home for 20 minutes.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on April 18, 2018, 01:54:28 PM
Today was supposed to be my day off but I have a three hour online meeting over fraud that I have to go to. Luckily I get to go to the local branch in the town that I live instead of driving to the branch that I work at 35 miles away. It's kind of weird being with a new group of people though.

Edit- It was scheduled for 9am EST and they changed it to 10am last minute. Now I'm sitting here looking busy because I don't feel like going home for 20 minutes.

There used to be a little app available that, with a hot key, immediately flipped the game you were playing into a letter, spreadsheet or something else that looked like work.

Buddy

I usually just have the teller program running in the background so I can hit Alt+tab and hide HAF. Of course, the bank I work for is pretty relaxed and if there are no customers to be helped we are allowed to surf the web.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

This has been a very rough week. I'm feeling even less like myself than I usually do. At least, I think I am. Not actually sure what normal feels like anymore.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2018, 03:36:13 PM
This has been a very rough week. I'm feeling even less like myself than I usually do. At least, I think I am. Not actually sure what normal feels like anymore.

:therethere:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Sorry to hear that and hope you will get through it without too much stress.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Yeah, work your way through it, JJ.

jumbojak

I would if I knew how, Dave.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2018, 07:21:03 PM
I would if I knew how, Dave.

If you want to, it can be very therapeutic to share with a bunch of caring people like the HAF. I for one really admire and respect you for your creativity and obvious talent for getting things done.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Normal is what you make it. Do no harm to yourself or others and keep on from there.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

I'll second both Hermes and Tank, JJ.

Everyone's experience is unique, mate, but some of us have been in a similar place. Sometimes when uou explain things to another, or others, you see the path forward for yourself.

jumbojak

Normal for me is wishing that the truck coming the other way would cross over into my lane. And that's just a casual thought. This week through to taday have been almost completely empty.

xSilverPhinx

That's a horrible way to feel, JJ. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey