News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Left, Right, Left, Right, Left...

Started by Sophus, February 12, 2011, 09:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

If anyone caught overtime with Bill Maher last night then you heard this....

Roughly, "Yeah, but I think once you go that far to the left you're in the right."
"It's a circle."
"Yeah, I consider Lenin and Stalin in the right wing, but don't tell Rush Limbaugh."

I don't think either one was a real communist, but does that necessarily make them right wing? They certainly weren't aiming for an egalitarian country.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

SSY

I think it's more a flawed way of viewing the political spectrum. Being incredibly authoritarian is seen as a right wing trait, while a more expansive way of catagorising political philosophies via two crossed axis shows that one can be right or left wing while being authoritarian.

So Stalin was authoritarian certainly, but declaring him right wing based solely on this measure fails to accurately represent him in my opinion.

edit, here we are
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "SSY"I think it's more a flawed way of viewing the political spectrum. Being incredibly authoritarian is seen as a right wing trait, while a more expansive way of catagorising political philosophies via two crossed axis shows that one can be right or left wing while being authoritarian.

So Stalin was authoritarian certainly, but declaring him right wing based solely on this measure fails to accurately represent him in my opinion.
That's why the Nolan Chart was invented.

Although it does have an inherent libertarian bias.

The Political Compass chart is much more neutral:

SSY

Beat me to while I was looking for the pic, grrrrrr, though I have never seen the Nolan chart before.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "SSY"Beat me to while I was looking for the pic, grrrrrr, though I have never seen the Nolan chart before.
It's used on this site:

http://www.nolanchart.com/survey.php

Whitney

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "SSY"Beat me to while I was looking for the pic, grrrrrr, though I have never seen the Nolan chart before.
It's used on this site:

The libertarians link to the Nolan chart on their site (at least locally)...considering that it is known to be biased towards libertarians I find them linking to it and encouraging people to use it to figure out if they are libertarian unethical...

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
It's used on this site:

The libertarians link to the Nolan chart on their site (at least locally)...considering that it is known to be biased towards libertarians I find them linking to it and encouraging people to use it to figure out if they are libertarian unethical...
I know. That's why I said it has an inherent libertarian bias, and said that the Political Compass is much more neutral.

To be fair, though, the quiz on the Nolan Chart site seems to be pretty neutral.

Another good political quiz is http://politicalquiz.net/, which gives in-depth results.

Asmodean

Don't think the left/right system presented would work over here...  :raised: Our rights tend to be less conservative than lefties... Or so it appears.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

Hitlerism and Stalinism share a few traits:  the economic coordination of the state at the national government level, the control of trade at the national level, and the refusal of the government to brook any dissent.

You might draw a distinction, but honestly, this is a distinction without a difference.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

terranus

Heh heh, my score on the Political Compass was right in between Nelson Mandela's and Gandhi's. Crazy. According to it, I'm a lot more Libertarian than I thought.

But according to NolanChart.com, I'm right where I thought I was - at the junction point of the Liberal, Statist and Centrist polygons.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

LegendarySandwich

This is what I got:

No one is close to me :(

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"No one is close to me :(

Maybe out in the real world you'd be considered a weirdo, but around here you're not unusual at all.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5841

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"No one is close to me :(

Maybe out in the real world you'd be considered a weirdo, but around here you're not unusual at all.

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/viewto ... f=4&t=5841
Hooray! ;D

ForTheLoveOfAll

"Doesn't Rush Limbaugh look like one of those gay guys who like for other men to pee on him?"

-Bill Hicks.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Sophus

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"This is what I got:

No one is close to me :(
You're about one grid space to the right of moi.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver