News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Mithra, Krishna and Horus

Started by George, February 02, 2011, 02:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

I've recently been looking into claims that the Jesus story is plagiarised from earlier deities such as Mithra, Krishna and Horus.

I'm finding it quite tricky to find a reliable source of info and sort the wheat from the chaff on the subject. Unfortunately the Zeitgeist film seems to be 90% bollocks but similar claims in Bill Maher's film Religulous seem to check out.

Basically I'm looking for a source which I can use in an ongoing debate I'm having with some Jehovah's Witnesses which I can use to proove that any one of the similar stories (horus seems to have the most) was definitively written (and not since altered) before the same stories in the bible. I just keep finding conflicting information!

:hmm:
"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities" -- Voltaire (1694-1778)

terranus

Hmm...well you know what they say. When the evidence changes, so must the theory. I've been looking for some fun stuff on Christianity's roots too...but the stuff is hard to come by. No doubt it's all been covered up and closely monitored by the Church. Ever read the Gnostic heresies? Pretty sure they had something in there about plagiarism but I just can't remember off the top of my head.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Voter

Quote from: "George"I've recently been looking into claims that the Jesus story is plagiarised from earlier deities such as Mithra, Krishna and Horus.

I'm finding it quite tricky to find a reliable source of info and sort the wheat from the chaff on the subject. Unfortunately the Zeitgeist film seems to be 90% bollocks but similar claims in Bill Maher's film Religulous seem to check out.

Basically I'm looking for a source which I can use in an ongoing debate I'm having with some Jehovah's Witnesses which I can use to proove that any one of the similar stories (horus seems to have the most) was definitively written (and not since altered) before the same stories in the bible. I just keep finding conflicting information!

:hmm:
The trail leads back to Gerlad Massey, an amateur Egyptologist who wrote a book in the late 1800's alleging these remarkably close parallels. They don't hold up but are frequently repeated nonetheless.
Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo