News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Stoicism

Started by MagicMarker, December 23, 2010, 11:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inevitable Droid

I've read the works of Epictetus.  There are elements of Stoicism that appeal to me.  But ultimately I lack any great ambition to be tranquil.  I also lack any aversion to the so-called negative emotions.  However, the strategic position of focusing on what I can control - there is wisdom in that.  Another wise strategy is to detach from desperate clinging.  We need nothing to survive but air, water, food, and heat.  All the rest we can do without if we must.  That doesn't mean we should, but merely that we can.  Desperate clinging is a poor strategic position to take.  Enjoying what is available while it's available - that is wise.  Finally, when chronic suffering has overwhelmed life, the only available meaning may reside in the attitude we take to our suffering.  This is a Stoic wisdom that was taken up by the Logotherapists, founded by Victor Frankl, and I think it can be valuable to those for whom it was meant.
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

grim-reaper

I think it can be useful as a temporary philosophy when you suffer a setback. But if you want to accomplish anything worthwhile during your life, you generally need to take a more active approach.