News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Rick Scott's Education Plan

Started by Sophus, December 16, 2010, 04:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

The crazy Tea Party conservatives are trying to take over Florida's educational system. From Mother Jones:

QuoteConservatives have been plotting for years to blow up the public school system. Now, Florida's incoming governor Rick Scott is poised to light the fuse.

During his campaign, Scott pledged to overhaul the state's schools while simultaneously reducing school property taxes by $1.4 billion. How to accomplish both? Privatization, of course. His plan, which promotes online schooling along with other educational options, may actually pave the way for the elimination of such pesky budget busters as buses, cafeterias, teachers, and, well, school facilities themselves...

Far-right conservatives have been pushing vouchers for years as a way to dismantle public schools and fund parochial schools. But Scott's proposal may be the first to propose using vouchers as a way of also cutting taxes. The plan is modeled on one proposed by the conservative Goldwater Institute in Arizona, which last year posited that the state could save a significant amount of money if it gave parents a spiff to opt out of the public school system.

It goes on...  :shake:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

karadan

These are the sorts of schools that would likely be on the receiving end of Scott's universal voucher program. It might help him cut property taxes for the state's rich seniors and wintering hedge fund managers, but it's hard to see how the plan does much to improve "accountability" as he's claimedâ€"or more importantly, improve the fortunes of Florida's school children.

And people in Florida voted for this guy... Do they think they are untouchable or something? I simply do not get how criminals such as Scott can get away with it.  :shake:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

KDbeads

FL schools used to be some of the top in the nation  :mad:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

SSY

I have always thought a voucher system for schools has many positives, that site seems to be more than a little biased.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Sophus

Quote from: "SSY"I have always thought a voucher system for schools has many positives, that site seems to be more than a little biased.
Sure it's biased. It's commentary.

What good would you expect to come from this education system?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

terranus

In certain limited situations school vouchers can be a good thing, such as when students are assigned to failing public schools. And honestly I don't see the problem with incorporating more of an online presence in schoolwork. Nearly every college course nowadays requires you to do something online in order to complete the course. High school kids should be prepped for that so they won't be lost their freshman year.

As far as Rick Scott goes, I didn't vote for him. But all the gullible retirees living here in FL got caught up in the Tea Party crap and were scared to vote for a Democrat, even though she was a moderate.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "SSY"I have always thought a voucher system for schools has many positives, that site seems to be more than a little biased.
Sure it's biased. It's commentary.

What good would you expect to come from this education system?
Ideally, a system like this would cause competition and thus better the schools, which ultimately betters the children.

Recusant

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Ideally, a system like this would cause competition and thus better the schools, which ultimately betters the children.

I agree, but the operative term here is "ideally."  In practice, as outlined in the Mother Jones piece, this sort of thing is wide open to fraud unless there's a whole layer of governmental oversight added (which of course would tend to negate any tax savings accrued and is something that "anti big government" types would tend to avoid).  Scott is just fine with fraud though.  As also mentioned in the MJ article, he was the head of a company that got caught defrauding the government and had to repay $2 billion in stolen funds.  He had sufficient deniability to get away with saying that he knew nothing about the ongoing fraud.  However, he has chosen to put Dennis Bakke who is running shady charter schools on his transition team, and you can be sure Bakke is there to help push this idea forward.  No conflict of interest there at all.

Despite Dr. Pangloss, we don't live in the best of all possible worlds, and the ideal outcome is rarely seen to occur.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken