News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Does this look purple to you?

Started by Whitney, July 01, 2006, 11:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Today I logged in from my dad's house (which is always a reminder of why I use cable now) and noticed that the topics list color looks bright lavndar on his screen.  On my laptop it looks like a nice matching light grey.  

Bad color schemes are a pet peeve of mine.  So I'm trying to figure out if it is just his computer or if others also see bright purple.

Basically...does the background to this post look grey or purlple to you?

Asmodean Prime

lavender, definitely definitely lavender yeah...we're going to miss Judge Wapner, oh no, oh no

McQ

Laetusatheos, your post background looks a nice blue-gray. Chris' reply background color looks grey. That's what I normally see when I read posts on my computers.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Thanks

I think my dad's computer is just screwy.  It was running funny so I installed some anti-spyware software...well he had over 2,000 threats that had to be removed.  (Plus he's running AOL...no offense to possible AOL users...but AOL really sucks).  Additionally,  his computer is a few years old and hasn't been updated since before service pack 2.

Another question caused by my dad's computer:

On the home page where the little site directory box on the left is located.  Does the header look continuous (the same as the blue and grey lines used elsewhere only with rounded corners) or does it have two rounded corners and nothing but junky looking text in between?  I'm wanting to implement that same style on all similar headers throughout the board...but wanted to make sure the glitch was only on his computer first.  I can create a little screen shot of what I'm talking about if my description wasn't clear enough.....Thanks.

McQ

This is what it looks like on mine. See attached.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Perfect...just how it should look...thanks  Now I can place it on the rest of the forum...I think rounded edges look better.

Jassman

I should have replied sooner, but I've been busy. The color is actually a purple color. More of a lavender really if you want to get technical but I, being a guy, would rather just simplify it to light purple.

Infact, this sentence is the color the Wikipedia page for lavender specifies.

The sentence above will actually appear to be grey when placed over this background because of color relativity and the way our eyes perceive color. Here is the color over the white Wikipedia background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_%28color%29

The RGB value of your color is:

Red: 204
Green: 204
Blue: 255

which means that blue is at 100% intensity.

If the red and green levels were not at the levels they are to offset the blue, the background color would be the most intense blue possible for a computer to display.

Here is an image showing the color pinpointed on a color wheel:

As you can see, it falls directly in the blue spectrum of the color wheel (although the blue is heavily lightened).

QuoteOn my laptop it looks like a nice matching light grey.

If you do want just a light grey you could try replacing the color #CCCCFF on your pages with #DCDCEB which would be a grey color similar to the lavender it currently is. If that doesn't work, I can try to find you a different grey color that complements the other grey color you are using.

Laptop screens (and LCDs in general) are notorious (as of 2006) for their slightly inaccurate color reproduction. I am using a CRT monitor which is dead on with colors (I wanted one because I do graphic design).

I hope this all helps you, laetus.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Big Mac

Well it's a gay computer, it likes other PC's (I'm assuming PC for the sake of the joke) instead of Laptops. Sadly, your dad has a homo computer. And no, you can't cure that with Anti-Virus!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Whitney

Thanks Jassman..very helplful.

My dad's computer was showing something close to a very bright lavendar.

How were you able to just pull the color from this page...did you view the tpage source or is there a cool program that does it for you?

On my screen the current color looks like a light ash blue and probably only looks blue since it is near the blue lines.  It wouldn't surprise me if the darker blue colors of this page are actually closer to the lavendar range.

I'll have to see what it looks like with the replaced color...maybe it would look good on computers like my dad's then too.  

Hmm...if i tip my screen back it makes the lavendar color look very purple...I'll have to get my desktop working (it crashed back in december and is now magically running again, but in safe mode) or hook the laptop up to it...I know that screen has fairly accurate color representation since the colors usually print the same.

Jassman

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Thanks Jassman..very helplful.
How were you able to just pull the color from this page...did you view the tpage source or is there a cool program that does it for you?

I actually pressed the "print screen" button on my keyboard and pasted the resulting screenshot into my graphic editing software (I use GIMP) and looked it up on there. That color wheel is a screenshot from the program itself.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Whitney

Quote from: "Jassman"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"Thanks Jassman..very helplful.

I actually pressed the "print screen" button on my keyboard and pasted the resulting screenshot into my graphic editing software (I use GIMP) and looked it up on there. That color wheel is a screenshot from the program itself.

Ah, I have photoshop and imageready.  I don't think it can tell me the numbers of web colors (maybe imageready can, but I haven't figured that program out completely yet).  But, that's what I do when I need a specific color off the web...print screen.  I'll have to look into getting GIMP or something similar if I do much more web based work.

It would be nice if there was a program out there that would allow the user to place a dropper tool anywhere on a screen to catch the color.

Jassman

Photoshop should work. Press print screen, paste it into a new photoshop document and use the dropper tool from there.

Whitney

Quote from: "Jassman"Photoshop should work. Press print screen, paste it into a new photoshop document and use the dropper tool from there.

Ya, that's what I've been doing.  I was just saying it would be nice if someone made a program that would allow you to use a dropper directly on the website then tell you the html # of the color and be able to just drop it into the graphics program.

silviakjell

Computer jargon. *sigh, i wish i knew as much about computers as you guys. The most advanced thing i can program now is something that changes Farenheit to Celsius. Very helpful.
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

Aullios

Quote from: "silviakjell"Computer jargon. *sigh, i wish i knew as much about computers as you guys. The most advanced thing i can program now is something that changes Farenheit to Celsius. Very helpful.

Hey... I had to write that program in Fortran last semester :P