News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"America today begins to turn back to God," Glenn Beck

Started by Sophus, August 28, 2010, 06:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Quote from: "url=http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-naw-glenn-beck-rally-20100829,0,3806936.story]LA Times[/url]"]'America today begins to turn back to God,' the cable commentator tells a crowd of conservatives as he kicks off a rally on the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther KingÂ's 'I Have a Dream''speech.
Beck has said the rally would "reclaim the civil rights movement" and greeted the thousands gathered along the Mall with soaring predictions.
"I'm convinced that not just this event, but this time period is going to be remembered as the beginning of the great awakening in America," he said.

I'm sure MLK would be flattered that this racist, egocentric SOB has picked up his work for him.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Reginus

The good news is that the people who side with Beck are mostly old people, and not the youth who will inherit the U.S.

Also, I'm still confused as to how this event has anything to do with civil rights and MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech.
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Recusant

Glenn Beck said that it's just a coincidence.  That he was not aware when he chose that date, that it was the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's speech in the same location.   :raised:

From a recent Glenn Beck radio program:

Quote"This is a moment, quite honestly, that I think we reclaim the civil rights movement... We are on the side of individual freedoms and liberties, and, damn it, we will reclaim the civil rights moment. We will take that movement, because we were the people that did it in the first place!"

I wonder who, exactly, he means by "we?"
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sophus

Quote from: "Recusant"I wonder who, exactly, he means by "we?"
The far right? Mormons? FOX News?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Reginus

Quote from: "Glenn Beck"We are on the side of individual freedoms and liberties
Wow...
They say this, but are against the freedom to marry if you're gay, the freedom to smoke marijuana, the ability to exercise your freedom of religion by building a place of worship within the constrains of local law, and just about every single other controversial personal freedom or liberty I can think of.
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Reginus"
Wow...
They say this, but are against the freedom to marry if you're gay, the freedom to smoke marijuana, the ability to exercise your freedom of religion by building a place of worship within the constrains of local law, and just about every single other controversial personal freedom or liberty I can think of.

Two possibilities:  colossal stupidity, or overweening cynicism.

"I'll take cynicism for $500, Alex."
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Reginus"
Wow...

Two possibilities:  colossal stupidity, or overweening cynicism.

"I'll take cynicism for $500, Alex."

Where Beck is concerned I have to vote for the colossal stupidity, that man is a walking time bomb, I expect any day that he goes bezerk and has a "call to arms" for all Christian Americans to take over the US.  I remember watching him on CNN Headline News and thinking this man is a whacko, back then; since then he has really gone to the Right Winged NUTJOB side.

Of course this is making the man a billionare, so he could be the next generation of "snake oil" salesman.. who knows.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Martin TK"Of course this is making the man a billionare, so he could be the next generation of "snake oil" salesman.. who knows.

Which is exactly why I vote for cynicism.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Martin TK"Of course this is making the man a billionare, so he could be the next generation of "snake oil" salesman.. who knows.

Which is exactly why I vote for cynicism.

Point made and taken...  lol
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

notself

The phrase "Great Awakening" has historical significance in the USA.  This country has a "Great Awakening" every 100 years or so.  It is a storm of religious fervor. The first Great Awakening saw the formation of evangelical churches and a break from religious hierarchy.  The Awakening of the mid 19th century supported the end of slavery and women's rights.  Some how I don't think the Glenn Beck Great Awakening will be quite the same thing.

Whitney

Quote from: "notself"Some how I don't think the Glenn Beck Great Awakening will be quite the same thing.

Maybe it is the last ripple or insanity before the great awakening of reason   :D

notself

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "notself"Some how I don't think the Glenn Beck Great Awakening will be quite the same thing.

Maybe it is the last ripple or insanity before the great awakening of reason   :D

Will

Quote from: "notself"The phrase "Great Awakening" has historical significance in the USA.  This country has a "Great Awakening" every 100 years or so.  It is a storm of religious fervor. The first Great Awakening saw the formation of evangelical churches and a break from religious hierarchy.  The Awakening of the mid 19th century supported the end of slavery and women's rights.  Some how I don't think the Glenn Beck Great Awakening will be quite the same thing.
Excellent historical context. Secularism is spreading like wildfire because of the internet. Perhaps the next one will involve the final dethroning of religion as the de facto way of being for Americans. Perhaps we'll join our European cousins in having freedom of religion, but little to no religious influence on society and politics.

I hope Glenn Beck lives to see the true secularization revolution in America, where people simply stop being religious out of courage and understanding. Peaceful revolutions are my favorite kind.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "notself"
Quote from: "Whitney"

I completely don't get it lol

notself