News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Nice! I commuted for almost 30 years. 32 miles one way for 18 and then 47 miles one way for 7, just for one job. I had to change the oil in my car every 6 weeks. Now it gets changed every 6 months. I've put just over 11k miles on it in 2.5 years. I avoid getting on the freeway with a passion these days.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Tomorrow's a holiday! :woohoo!:

Probably going to the movie theatre to watch Bohemian Rhapsody.

Michael1

I got offered a house with some support. I might take it even though it's in the center of the city, which I really don't like.
I liked the earth before it was cool.

xSilverPhinx

It can be the little things. It's hot as hell but I have some cold soda.

Dark Lightning

I'm north and east of the Woolsey fire- the one that has burned over 91k acres here in southern California. A new fire started up even closer to home, but only got about 20 acres before it was put out. That was concerning. It could have been like it was in 2003, when fire burned all the way around our city.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm alive, in relatively good health for my age, employed, and enjoying life.  This week, I'm getting my usual paycheck, my annual bonus, my second Social Security check, and an expense reimbursement.  This is going to be a good week.

jumbojak

The washing machine is turning out CLEAN CLOTHES again!  :frolic:

I have parts on order to get the agitator working properly but was able to cobble things together well enough to get work clothes for tomorrow that won't feel like they're trying to crawl off my back while I'm wearing them.

I told someone about cleaning the washer and they asked why I didn't just buy a new one.  :wtf: I mean, I know we live in a throwaway society but spending $500 on a new machine when $5 worth of parts and a little elbow grease gets the old one working again confuzzles me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on November 15, 2018, 04:32:58 AM
The washing machine is turning out CLEAN CLOTHES again!  :frolic:

I have parts on order to get the agitator working properly but was able to cobble things together well enough to get work clothes for tomorrow that won't feel like they're trying to crawl off my back while I'm wearing them.

I told someone about cleaning the washer and they asked why I didn't just buy a new one.  :wtf: I mean, I know we live in a throwaway society but spending $500 on a new machine when $5 worth of parts and a little elbow grease gets the old one working again confuzzles me.

You have the ability to fix things, most people don't. It's also possible that your appliance was made to be repaired. Again most things at not. Manufacturers only make profit on new sales.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Even if someone can't fix their widget themselves there are appliance repair services all over the country. Our local independent is a $60 service call away. Even with a 300% markup on parts I still would've saved almost $400 over buying new!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on November 15, 2018, 02:45:20 PM
Even if someone can't fix their widget themselves there are appliance repair services all over the country. Our local independent is a $60 service call away. Even with a 300% markup on parts I still would've saved almost $400 over buying new!

You are so 'old school'  :hug:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on November 15, 2018, 04:01:57 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 15, 2018, 02:45:20 PM

You are so 'old school'  :hug:

Growing up in a house with naught but a cast iron wood burning stove in one room for heat might have something to do with it. I'm really not very old but I do tend to look at things as fixable, or a something I can cannibalize for other purposes... you should see our scrap pile. We still have most of the barge left from that.

jumbojak

I bought a new sling after work that's a MILLION times more comfortable than the old one. Soft, padded, easily adjustable... it's quite nice.

jumbojak

My car almost passed inspection. All I need is one tire. That's such a relief.