News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Yay, indeed, esp. on the more certificates.  Always so useful.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Good news, G85!

Little bit of good stuff here as well, tax refund cheque for £70 arrived today and was immediately classified as toy money! Probably be the BBC micro:bit this time. The local library are loaning some out for adults to try coding. A million of these little beasties are being given free to year 7 kids to boost coding skills.  So it may be another thing for us Computer Buddies to sort . . .

Actually I have spent a year telling myself that I don't want to buy a Raspberry Pi or Arduino. The micro:bit is not as versatile but is a bit cheaper.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 24, 2018, 11:01:52 PM
Good news, G85!

Little bit of good stuff here as well, tax refund cheque for £70 arrived today and was immediately classified as toy money! Probably be the BBC micro:bit this time. The local library are loaning some out for adults to try coding. A million of these little beasties are being given free to year 7 kids to boost coding skills.  So it may be another thing for us Computer Buddies to sort . . .

Actually I have spent a year telling myself that I don't want to buy a Raspberry Pi or Arduino. The micro:bit is not as versatile but is a bit cheaper.
Quote from: Dave on January 24, 2018, 11:01:52 PM
Good news, G85!

And why not? We all deserve some new toys from time to time.

This seems to be a good series of videos on it:

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 24, 2018, 10:26:11 PM
Having been been without permanent employment since November 2015 and coasting on temp work and seasonal jobs, I am happy to report that starting monday I have a new job!
It's for a company just down the road that sells and services RVs and caravans. A bit of a local institution and a cornerstone business around here.
They are bumping their inventory guy up to an office position, so there is an opening for a new warehouse monkey, and I got it! They are also looking into getting me more certificates within fire safety and equipment maintenance to capitalize on my previous work experience.

So yay!  :heyhey:

Brilliant news!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on January 25, 2018, 07:38:53 AM
Having been been without permanent employment since November 2015 and coasting on temp work and seasonal jobs, I am happy to report that starting monday I have a new job!
It's for a company just down the road that sells and services RVs and caravans. A bit of a local institution and a cornerstone business around here.
They are bumping their inventory guy up to an office position, so there is an opening for a new warehouse monkey, and I got it! They are also looking into getting me more certificates within fire safety and equipment maintenance to capitalize on my previous work experience.

Brilliant news!
Yay!  :frolic:
Wonderful news!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

That's great, G85!  :yes!:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Congrats! Always a relief to have a permanent place of employment and even better that it's close by. 
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Bluenose

Australia wins again!

21 of the 25 most venomous snakes in the world (by LD50) are Australian.  Non-Australian snakes in red.

• Inland taipan
  • Eastern brown snake
  • Coastal taipan
  • Eastern states tiger snake
  • Reevsby inland tiger snake
  • Beaked sea snake
  • Western Australian tiger snake
  • Chappell Island tiger snake
  • Death adder
  • Gwardar or western brown snake
  • Australian copperhead
  • Indian cobra
  • Black mamba
  • Dugite or spotted brown snake
  • Papuan black snake
  • Yellow-banded snake
  • Rough scaled snake
  • King cobra
  • Blue-bellied black snake
  • Collett's snake
  • King brown or mulga snake
  • Red-bellied black snake
  • Small-eyed snake
  • Spotted snake
  • Eastern diamond-back rattlesnake
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Quote from: Bluenose on February 02, 2018, 11:32:46 AM
Australia wins again!

21 of the 25 most venomous snakes in the world (by LD50) are Australian.  Non-Australian snakes in red.

• Inland taipan
  • Eastern brown snake
  • Coastal taipan
  • Beaked sea snake
  • Death adder
  • Australian copperhead
  • Indian cobra
  • Black mamba
  • Papuan black snake
  • Yellow-banded snake
  • Rough scaled snake
  • King cobra
  • Collett's snake
  • Small-eyed snake
  • Spotted snake
Wow!  :faints:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on February 02, 2018, 04:13:19 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on February 02, 2018, 11:32:46 AM
Australia wins again!

• Inland taipan
  • Eastern brown snake
  • Coastal taipan
  • Beaked sea snake
  • Death adder
  • Australian copperhead
  • Indian cobra
  • Black mamba
  • Papuan black snake
  • Yellow-banded snake
  • Rough scaled snake
  • King cobra
  • Collett's snake
  • Small-eyed snake
  • Spotted snake
Wow!  :faints:

Well, at least we got one snake in there.  And somehow I do not find this plenitude of poisonous snakes nearly as upsetting as the idea of box jellyfish.
Sandy

hermes2015

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 02, 2018, 10:13:36 PM
Well, at least we got one snake in there.  And somehow I do not find this plenitude of poisonous snakes nearly as upsetting as the idea of box jellyfish.

I assume your'e referring to me, Books. The venom of human kindness flows in my veins.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 03, 2018, 03:32:58 AM

I assume your'e referring to me, Books. The venom of human kindness flows in my veins.

Sure, why not?
Sandy

Bluenose

You're right there, especially the Irukandji - it scares me more than anything!

Still, more people get run over by buses than all of these put together and I suspect that not too many of us are scared of buses.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Essie Mae

We came back from a few weeks away to find that the tree in our neighbour's garden across the road has been removed! 😀 It was a dark green evergreen about 35' high and it made our living room very dark. Apparently the neighbours backing on to them obtained some sort of an order to pull it down. I detested that tree but we'd been home for three days before we noticed it had gone! We were very tired; that's my excuse.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74