News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

My scattered thoughts-comments/questions welcome!

Started by ACSlater, March 23, 2010, 11:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSlater

It's been quite some time since I posted an actual topic, and even now I'm having trouble putting together a cohesive flow that would be easy to read. That being said here's what's floating in my brain right now:

1) I often find myself with my feet in two different pools of water it seems. I'm a Christian, but rather than feel "threatened" by science, I welcome the new findings that come from it. Is it far-fetched to think you can have both? Or I guess I should say a belief in both?

2) I consider much of the bible allegorical.

3) Using fear of Hell, using fear period, convince them of your belief is something I don't agree with. In addition, wouldn't holding solely to a promise of Heaven as a basis of belief hinder your ability to live your best life in the NOW?

4) I'm still troubled by the rift that continues to present itself with people of different beliefs, cultures, backgrounds, etc.

5) I'm glad that this forum has shown me that there can be a dialogue between non-believers and people like me.  :headbang:

Well, that's all I can get out right now. I'll expand and answer, but for now, it's time to go home!

Will

If you had to pick an absolute favorite meal in the world, something you'd order on death row or if you had all the money in the world, what would it be?

Are you a good person? Is that because of religion or do you think you're good all on your own?

Do you watch anime?

What role does religion play in your life?

Why are you standing in pools? Do you have your board shorts on or are you giving yourself soggy shoes?

Inquiring minds want to know!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ACSlater

Quote from: "Will"If you had to pick an absolute favorite meal in the world, something you'd order on death row or if you had all the money in the world, what would it be?
I do enjoy a lovely risotto, so let's go with that to start. Rainbow trout and lobster. Umm, some part of the meal would have to incorporate bacon, the risotto even (since I've done it before.) For dessert, a creme brulee and even one of those molten chocolate cakes. That's all I can think of right now. Oh, oh, and some of my own chocolate chip cookies. They are delicious and that's not just my own opinion. I actually owe family members some batches.

Quote from: "Will"Are you a good person? Is that because of religion or do you think you're good all on your own?
I think I'm a good person although I don't think it's solely because of religion. The whole "love thy neighbor" as you do yourself (can't directly quote since I suck at bible verses) is a concept that goes beyond religious teachings.

Quote from: "Will"Do you watch anime?
I do regularly read the Naruto Manga and Full Metal Alchemist. I would love to see more anime, but I don't have a big collection. I have a Ranma 1/2 VHS I bought in High School, and I repurchased Ninja Scroll on DVD. I do love the comic books though. One of my favorite artists is Michael Turner (RIP), and I love Frank CHo. I love to draw and paint as well besides my true passion which is music.

Quote from: "Will"What role does religion play in your life?
It's a balancing force I guess you could say. It's a matter of being conscious of not only a physical self but of something spiritual as well. I love the fact that we don't have all the answers and there's so much to explore. This goes for both what is observable and that which is not. Although, I must say I don't always refer to my beliefs as a "religion" per se.

Quote from: "Will"Why are you standing in pools? Do you have your board shorts on or are you giving yourself soggy shoes?
Well, I have a European soul so it's really about the Burt Lancaster style swim trunks which are slightly longer than a speedo.  :D

Quote from: "Will"Inquiring minds want to know!
I appreciate the questions. I'm really sorry I didn't have a better post, but I had so many thoughts and just didn't have the ability to mention everything without opening up multiple topics. THanks again, Will!

PS - As you can see, I do take myself seriously. Why else would I use a screen name from Saved by the Bell, although I regret not using one from California Dreams. Antoine Bethesda Wickes..."Surf dudes, with attitudes...kinda GROOOOOOOOOOOOVY!"

Gawen

With all of the disbeliefs in the bible and Chirstiandom, what makes you think you're still a Christian?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

dogsmycopilot

Quote from: "Gawen"With all of the disbeliefs in the bible and Chirstiandom, what makes you think you're still a Christian?
My question also. Why take the label if you deny the material of the religion?

Chewbie Chan

ACSlater I think if Christians on the whole accepted much of the Bible as allegorical we would all have a better time of it.

Do you know any Christians personally who think like you do?

kelltrill

Are you a regular church-goer?

Where you raised Christian, and if so, were you raised in a particular denomination or non-denominational?

Have you always read the Bible allegorically and tried to unify science and religious beliefs? If not, why the change?

I wont lie, you seem a bit like a Christian Agnostic to me :) A fellow Naruto appreciator is always welcome.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."