News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

RSS

Started by Kestrel, February 21, 2007, 01:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kestrel

RSS
If possible, how about having an RSS option for the forum? Would anyone else be interested?
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

Whitney

I'm sure it's possible...but don't know how to do it.  I won't really have much time to look into that option till this summer.  If someone knows a quick and simple way to set it up then I could get it going sooner.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Kestrel"If possible, how about having an RSS option for the forum? Would anyone else be interested?

What you talkin 'bout Willis?

Or in other words...Huh?

McQ

What is it, and why do we need it?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Kestrel

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I'm sure it's possible...but don't know how to do it.  I won't really have much time to look into that option till this summer.  If someone knows a quick and simple way to set it up then I could get it going sooner.
I don't know how to do it either.
But I'll happily look into it and get back to ya.

Thanks!
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

Kestrel

Quote from: "McQ"What is it, and why do we need it?
Not a need as much as kind of convenient and interesting.

As to what it is (nod to MommaSquid);

RSS is a family of web feed formats used to publish frequently updated digital content, such as blogs, news feeds or podcasts.

Users of RSS content use programs called feed 'readers' or 'aggregators': the user 'subscribes' to a feed by supplying to their reader a link to the feed; the reader can then check the user's subscribed feeds to see if any of those feeds have new content since the last time it checked, and if so, retrieve that content and present it to the user.

The initials "RSS" are variously used to refer to the following standards:

* Really Simple Syndication (RSS 2.0)
    * Rich Site Summary (RSS 0.91, RSS 1.0)
    * RDF Site Summary (RSS 0.9 and 1.0)

RSS formats are specified in XML (a generic specification for data formats). RSS delivers its information as an XML file called an "RSS feed", "webfeed", "RSS stream", or "RSS channel".

SOURCE

Kestrel

Actually, it is not so different than the "Recent Topics" box found on the homepage of this forum. Except that instead of just having it on the homepage, you would have the info pop up in your browser, desktop, etc.

Tom62

I think that an RSS feed makes only sense for  "breakings news" stories and stockprices. For a forum like this it doesn't seem a worthwhile addition.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MommaSquid

Thanks for the explanation, Kestrel.  Once again, I have learned something new at HAF.

Quote from: "Tom62"I think that an RSS feed makes only sense for  "breakings news" stories and stockprices. For a forum like this it doesn't seem a worthwhile addition.

I agree.  While RSS sounds like a very useful tool, we probably don't need it here.