News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

An Atheist President? Not anytime soon....

Started by Amor Fati, February 16, 2007, 11:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amor Fati

Q: "If your party nominated a well-qualified Candidate for WH '08 who was ___, would you vote for that person?"  

53% would not vote for an atheist candidate.

Link.

{edit}: so, the real question, where is our civil rights movement?

MrE2Me

I recently saw a poll by AARP that showed Americans are twice more likely to vote for a black person or a woman than they are a Mormon.  They obviously asked about Mormons (and the others) because of 3 specific candidates in the running for the '08 elections, but I think it shows how behind we are in the "religion" category compared to the progress we've made regarding race and gender issues.

More info...
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

Will

Sounds like bigotry is still going strong. I'm atheist and I'm proud.

The problem, as was well stated by Richard Dawkins, is that organizing atheists is like herding cats. We're too intelligent and too independent for the organization to move in one direction. The only real thing we'd all have in common would be that we're atheists. I would submit my idea: make more atheists, as the best strategy. When people ask me about religion, I let them know exactly what's going on. I've managed to convince quite a few people by simply explaining my thought process on the subject. An atheist lobby may be a few years out, but helping the sheeple come to reason can't hurt.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

donkeyhoty

I'd settle for a competent president.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

ImpaledSkier

Quote've managed to convince quite a few people by simply explaining my thought process on the subject.

You're one hell of a politician then, you should run. I've only managed to make people who've always had their lingering doubts really start to think about it.
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas