News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

House Committee Approves Engraving 'In God We Trust'

Started by Whitney, June 12, 2009, 08:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

QuoteThe House Administration Committee has unanimously approved a resolution directing the Architect of the Capitol to engrave the National Motto -- “In God We Trust” â€" and the Pledge of Allegiance inside the new Capitol Visitor Center (CVC).

“While the Capitol Visitor Center did a good job in incorporating many elements, I believe there are two important (items) that were absent -- the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Motto ‘In God We Trust,’” Rep. Dan Lungren (R-Calif.) said Wednesday.

“I am pleased that this resolution remedies this oversight and incorporates those important parts of our national heritage into the CVC,” Lungren added.

Congress established the National Motto --“In God We Trust” -- in 1956. The words, which are found on U.S. currency, have been engraved over the Speaker’s rostrum in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1962. But they were left off the replica of the rostrum found in the new visitor center.

The resolution approved in committee on Wednesday also corrects a mistake in the visitor center, which wrongly identified the National Motto as "E Pluribus Unum" (out of many, one).

Full Text:  http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/a ... rcID=49444

This is unbelievable; ok, well it is believable because we all know those in charge do crap like this all the time....but it is an an outrage.  You can express your concern to the White House by going here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  or contact your local representatives.

BadPoison

I feel discriminated against. These sort of stories are bothering me more and more these days. :upset:

JillSwift

My representative just got an e-mail reminding him about the establishment clause.
[size=50]Teleology]

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

Politicians that could stand up and make a difference are afraid to vote what they know is constitutionally right; it's sort of like being a state legislator in Governor Wallace's Alabama of the mid 1960's and voting for racial equality ... ain't going to happen ... their political viability trumps any minorities' civil rights.

It will only change when atheists (religious minorities) like ourselves are willing to go to Washington in numbers and do what brave African-Americans did in Alabama in 1960's ... like them, we must be willing to be arrested while doing sit down demonstrations in the middle of the road in front of, say, that visitor center demanding that our constitutional civil rights as non-theistic Americans be acknowledged and adhered to.  

Until we are willing "walk that talk," politicians won't begin to risk a goddamn thing for us.