News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

New tattoos...

Started by ryanvc76, December 26, 2006, 06:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanvc76

First off, thanks for the compliment.  As for the location, there are many places that would be fine and not always visible.  I chose the wrist because I wanted it to be visible all of the time.  If needed, I just wear a long-sleeved shirt and they're gone.  As for the rest of my tattoos, they cannot be seen if I simply wear pants and a t-shirt.

I understand that the long sleeves are not an option in the medical field.  I also do not know if you have other tattoos in these locations, but I can suggest a few.  The top of your arms, at the shoulder; the back of your neck; ankle; chest.  As for the pain, I can only speak of my own experiences.  Some might say an area is painful and others will disagree.

There are some ideas on the IPU website as well - just scroll toward the bottom of the page.
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

Whitney

The pain factor seems to depend more on the person than the location (near the spine, underarm, and ankle are areas I've been told are the worst).  I didn't think it was all that bad when I got one on my lower back or ankle...yet my friend didn't go deep enough on the ankle one which is why it needs to be redone (I'm thinking it will hurt when it is redone because it already kinda hurt the first time).

Back of the calf, above the ankle, or upper back are common places for guys to get tats (when they want it hideable)....neither area probably will hurt that bad; if you are concerned about pain go with the calf.  For me, looking at it while they are doing the tat makes it hurt more.  If you are able to zone out that helps too.

Since the IPU logo is a circular shape, unless you are going to pair it with something as a side design, aesthetically I'd go with upper back or above the ankle.  If you want to put it on your upper arm ask the artist about designing it into a band (that will hurt though) or some design that will kinda wing it.

ImpaledSkier

Thanks for all the imput ryanVC76, and laetusatheos. I'm leaning upper back as of now, but when it comes down to it we'll see whether I make some snap decision elsewhere...I have a tendancy to do such things.

And, oddly enough, I'm quite the opposite, I'm better with pain when I see it coming...e.g. drawing blood, putting back in dislocated shoulders. my arthoscopic MRI was most displeasant...but I didn't get to see that. I'm hopping I'll be able to stand the needle of a tattoo gun.

Again, thanks for info.
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

Eclecticsaturn

on topic here, what verses say that tattos are not allowed in the christian bible? Other than Leviticus 19:28?

Whitney

Quote from: "Eclecticsaturn"on topic here, what verses say that tattos are not allowed in the christian bible? Other than Leviticus 19:28?

I googled it, according to http://www.scripturessay.com/q420a.html it's not directly biblically wrong unless done for pagan rituals or the person thinks it would be harmful to their body or would not glorify god by doing so.  Basically, apparently it is okay as long as the tat glorifies god and is done by a professional and taken care of properly.  

------

btw, if anyone is thinking of getting a tat done in the Dallas area I just got the one on my ankle fixed at Smooth Grooves in deep ellem(sp) (near downtown) and he did a great job, very little pain, and it only took 5 mins.

brainshmain

Leviticus 19:28
'And do not put tattoo marks on yourselves.'

http://thebricktestament.com/the_law/fa ... 9_28b.html

Squid

Quote from: "laetusatheos"btw, if anyone is thinking of getting a tat done in the Dallas area I just got the one on my ankle fixed at Smooth Grooves in deep ellem(sp) (near downtown) and he did a great job, very little pain, and it only took 5 mins.

Hell, if I knew you were in Dallas, I would have invited out for a beer with that tattoo.

Whitney

Quote from: "Squid"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"btw, if anyone is thinking of getting a tat done in the Dallas area I just got the one on my ankle fixed at Smooth Grooves in deep ellem(sp) (near downtown) and he did a great job, very little pain, and it only took 5 mins.

Hell, if I knew you were in Dallas, I would have invited out for a beer with that tattoo.

lol, I didn't notice where you lived in Tx till after I got back.  Brian and I will be down there again in a month or so to look at rental homes/apts.

Squid

Cool, if your in the Richardson/Plano/North Dallas area - drop me a line and I'll hook you cats up with some fresh drink.

up2smthn

I've never understood the human penchant for self-mutilation. Not passing judgement, just perplexed by it.

Eclecticsaturn

once you have one you understand. I have them all over my body and i cant wait for my next one.

Whitney

Quote from: "up2smthn"I've never understood the human penchant for self-mutilation. Not passing judgement, just perplexed by it.

People like to decorate themselves with clothes, jewlerey and other accessories.  Tat's are just another way to decorate ourselves and serve as a form of self expression.

Whitney

Quote from: "Eclecticsaturn"once you have one you understand. I have them all over my body and i cant wait for my next one.

The minimalist in me makes me happy with just a couple.

Scrybe

I keep almost deciding on getting a tattoo.  But then I know anything I would design now, I would find aesthetically immature a couple years from now.
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Tom62

I've no intention to get a tattoo for three reasons. 1. my wife would "kill" me; 2. I don't know any design that I would want to have on my body for (hopefully) many years to come; 3. it is not really accepted in my social "class".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein