News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Campus Freethough Group - OSU

Started by Whitney, October 22, 2006, 04:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

As many of you may already know, Oklahoma is not really a breeding ground for freethinkers.   Because of this it is hard to find very many people who would be interested in starting a freethough group on campus.  Through meetups I've gotten in contact with one other person who is interested and I'm going to be contacting Oklahoma Atheists to see if they have any members who are also in Stillwater.  I'm thinking Campus Freethought Alliance or Secular Student alliance may also be helpful for organizing a group.

Even though I know none of the members here are from Stillwater, I figured I'd post this in case it came up in a search somehow or if anyone happened to have a friend in the area who would be interested.  Suggestions on ways easier than our current approach to getting a group together would be helpful too.

Court

I would love to start a group like that. I didn't think I'd meet any atheists in East fucking Texas, but I think you'd be surprised if you start advertising for one or something. That's probably the best way to try and do it. The worst that can happen is no one shows up.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Whitney

Ya, the problem is that only existing organizations can get approval for flyers on campus.  But, we are going to try and get around that little issue by getting one or both of the philosophy clubs to ask members if they are interested in a freethought group.  We'll need an advisor too, but I think my bf can ask some of his professor friends if they'd be interested.

Court

I actually looked into doing one here. I have to do all this b.s. paperwork, but with 4 people I can officially start a group and advertise on campus. I'm going to get all the paperwork crap done as soon as I have time. I better see if one of my teachers will be an advisor too.

I'll bet that you can start a group with a low number of members like here. Once you have it established, you can advertise for an "interest meeting" and explain to everyone why you want to start a group and what sorts of things you'll be doing.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Whitney

I'll have to get my friend to find out if we can start one with lower numbers...she's already a treasurer, secretary (something like that) of another organization so should know more about who to contact.  If grad students can count toward that number (and it's only 4) we'd just need one more person to have an interest meeting.  Too bad I'm graduating this year (well, not bad for me but bad for trying to get a group started),  it would be a lot easier to get this thing together if I wasn't so busy.

Court

So, I found the best way to make a group on campus.
I'm sure you're on Facebook. Just make a group telling about what you want to do, and say if anyone's interested, to join. Then advance search for anyone who lists "Atheist" or "Agnostic" in their Religion and invite them. You should get at least enough to make a group officially so you can advertise an interest meeting.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

JNTB

I never thought about it until now, but the Internet with all of the contact, blogging and group calendaring possibilities, organizing a college campus group is a whole lot more efficient than 20 years ago, even 10 years ago. Instead of having to constantly call people to spread messages, and instead of having to post signs everywhere, the Internet should make the process pretty slick. The problem for an old guy like me (40) is that I don't always know where to go to see all the stuff the college kids are doing. I have to learn from my nieces that the place to go to meet people (online) is either MySpace or another site that I can't remember.

I'm logging in from the local community college WAN and when I walked into the school buildings I didn't see a lot of paper notices posted everywhere. They must put everything online nowadays.
Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501(c)(3) tax-free status.