Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Good Hello Morning...

Started by joeactor, August 18, 2006, 02:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Hello all,

Just popping in to say "hey"...

I saw an answer by one of your members on Yahoo Answers that I quite enjoyed - and here I am.

For the record, I was raised Roman Catholic (wait for it), and am now an Agnostic Theist.

Go figure.

Hope all is well with all y'all - yakatcha soon,
  JoeActor

Woody

Hi, JoeActor, and welcome.

Agnostic Theist?  Does that mean you favour that a god exists but are willing to be convinced otherwise?  Could be interesting. :)

McQ

Welcome, Joe.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Hey Joe...welcome to the forum :)

Squid

Welcome Joe.  I've been to Yahoo Answers a few times - I answer under AtheistCoalition (shameless plug, I know).

Erinos

Hello! You've taken my "New Guy" title, so thanks, and I hope you stick around.

Aslo, as Woody asked, what exactly do you mean by Agnostic Theist?
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

MySpace

joeactor

Hello all - thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote from: "Erinos"Hello! You've taken my "New Guy" title, so thanks, and I hope you stick around.

Aslo, as Woody asked, what exactly do you mean by Agnostic Theist?

Great question Woody and Erinos, let's see if I can start a good discussion with this one...

Agnosticism deals with knowledge.  In essence, I claim no knowledge of god (or gods).  Such knowledge of god's form, capabilities, moods, or even existence is super-natural, and therefore out of the realm of the "know-able".

Theism and Atheism are both based on belief, not knowledge.  I believe there is a god, but have no proof (nor do I seek proof).  You may believe there is no god, but logically cannot prove a negative hypothesis.

The realms of belief and knowledge are often confused by religion.  Many claim to "know" things, yet have no proof.  What they do have is belief, which is fine, but not knowledge.

So, I'm open to thoughts, concepts and criticism.

Bring it on! (but be gentle...),
  JoeActor

iplaw

Lemme see if I understand:

In essence humans trying to use our mind or science to "know" God is like humans trying to measure consciousness with a slide rule or compass.  The measuring instrument is insufficient to measure the specimen...The most we could hope for is measuring after effects of whatever interaction this god has with our world.  But the idea is ad hoc because even measuring the after effect of god's involvement does not necessarily allow us to draw inferences about that god's ontology.

It's like the premise of Flatland, that humans are fundamentally unable to understand or measure an infinitely dimensional object, in fact, we have problems visualizing or theorizing what an object with even 5 dimensions  would be capable of or look like.

FYI, prepare yourself...

QuoteYou may believe there is no god, but logically cannot prove a negative hypothesis.
Here come the pink unicorns and Santa analogies...

MommaSquid

Quote from: "joeactor"Agnosticism deals with knowledge.  In essence, I claim no knowledge of god (or gods)...(nor do I seek proof).  

Have you read the UCTAA Articles of Faith?  "I don't know and I don't care" doesn't leave much room for discussion, but it is an amusing way to look at the whole god problem.  I kinda like it!

UCTAA

Welcome to the forum, joeactor.

joeactor

Quote from: "MommaSquid"
Quote from: "joeactor"Agnosticism deals with knowledge.  In essence, I claim no knowledge of god (or gods)...(nor do I seek proof).  

Have you read the UCTAA Articles of Faith?  "I don't know and I don't care" doesn't leave much room for discussion, but it is an amusing way to look at the whole god problem.  I kinda like it!

UCTAA

Thanks MommaSquid!
Great link... very funny (even if they didn't intend it!)

I'll attempt to be non-apathetic... but I'm not making any promises!

[glow=red]I'm a frisbeetarian: we believe that when you die, your soul goes up to the roof and gets stuck there.  --unknown[/glow]

McQ

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "MommaSquid"

UCTAA

Thanks MommaSquid!
Great link... very funny (even if they didn't intend it!)

I'll attempt to be non-apathetic... but I'm not making any promises!

[glow=red]I'm a frisbeetarian: we believe that when you die, your soul goes up to the roof and gets stuck there.  --unknown[/glow]

HEY! You used my religious quote! LOL! It's "Frisbeean", and the original is attributed to Jim Stafford. I thought I was the only Frisbeean on the board. Boy, am I glad to have company. :-)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

joeactor

Quote from: "McQ"HEY! You used my religious quote! LOL! It's "Frisbeean", and the original is attributed to Jim Stafford. I thought I was the only Frisbeean on the board. Boy, am I glad to have company. :-)

Cool - thanks for the reference point.

I used to have a button with the Frisbeean frase on it...

silviakjell

Welcome joeactor. Sorry I'm so late, I went out of Shanghai for a little trip with my aunt. :P
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

joeactor

Quote from: "silviakjell"Welcome joeactor. Sorry I'm so late, I went out of Shanghai for a little trip with my aunt. :P

Thanks - hope your trip to Shanghai was enjoyable (never been there myself, but the wife has).

Big Mac

So you were....Shanghaied? Hehehehehehe hahahahaha.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?