News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

THE FUTURE

Started by silviakjell, August 17, 2006, 11:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silviakjell

I always wonder what the future will be like, but there are so many different varieties. It could be that all is well and fine, that we have developoed efficient solar energy mechanisms and that we now recycle 100% of our trash. Or maybe our planet will be a radioactive nuclear winter with our natural resources spent and only a handful of humans left. Maybe we'll be at war with another sentient species? Or perhaps there'll be a giant wall reaching from the core to the ozone layer seperating the forest and it's enviromental inhabitants and the city. I think that would make a good Sci-Fi/Fantasy book. Who knows? What do you think the future will be like?

Oh, and I know someone will ask, so, let's say the future in 500 years? or maybe 1000?
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

Tom62

I hope that the future would bring us something like "The Culture" in the books of Ian M. Banks (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MommaSquid

I'm thinking it will be a combination of Brave New World, 1984, and Demolition Man.

Enhance Your Calm

silviakjell

I wonder what ideas we get that actually don't come from books? hehe. I actually thought of those myself. (isn't that wonderful, I can think! :P)

And MommaSquid, in your sig, did George Bush actually say that?

joeactor

In my future world, remote controls cease to function, but instead of getting up off the couch, scientists alter our genetic code to allow us to all have 6 foot index fingers...

Also good for scratching, and pointing long distances...

Big Mac

And doing Three Stooges slapstick!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

joeactor

Quote from: "Big Mac"And doing Three Stooges slapstick!

Yes!  The potential is virtually unlimited!

Big Mac

WEll that and you can do things like reach teh top shelf at the supermarket for those rather attractive co-shoppers.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Erinos

I hope the future is like the Matrix
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

MySpace

Fourth Iteration

Do you mean the part where we're consumed for energy or the part where we get to dodge bullets?
"Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear..." - Ian Malcolm

silviakjell

Or the part where our world's natural resources are nearly gone? or maybe you want to have a big war with machines?

Erinos

I mean the part where humans are nothing more than batteries living in a dream world.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

MySpace

Fourth Iteration

......Wow..... What a bleak future awaits. I call captain of a ship! :D
"Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear..." - Ian Malcolm

Jassman

Yeah I was going to say that the world will resemble the world in 1984, but that just seems so cynical...

I think that the Singularity will probably occur, allowing us to eventually discard our biological bodies and live as long as we would like to.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

joeactor

Quote from: "Jassman"Yeah I was going to say that the world will resemble the world in 1984, but that just seems so cynical...

I think that the Singularity will probably occur, allowing us to eventually discard our biological bodies and live as long as we would like to.

1984 just got delayed by 20 years...

Terrorists?  We've always been at war with Oceana.

Illegal phone taps?  Big Brother is watching you.

Patriot act?  Thought crime.