News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

I "came out" to my best (Christian) friend

Started by susangail, July 09, 2008, 07:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susangail

It went SO much better than I thought. She's a very laid-back type of person. She's never been one to preach. Today was the first time I had seen her since becoming an atheist. (last time we hung out, I was in my questioning-but-still-a-"Christian" stage). I knew I needed to tell her, but I was scared shitless. I almost chickened out, but then I remembered that we might hang out with some of her (Christian) friends. They're pretty laid-back as well, but debates come around often (they're all in forensics) and religion is a hot topic. I would have hated for her to find out that way.

So, before we hung out with them, I told her. I stumbled a bit with words but I eventually forced the phrase "I don't believe in God anymore" out of my mouth. I could see the shock on her face. I tried my best to explain. She did start to tear up a bit (probably because she thinks I'm going to hell now) but she didn't preach at all. She asked a couple valid questions, made it clear that she wasn't going to judge me, and gave me a heads-up that her friends will ask a lot of questions if it comes up.

She's a great friend. She chose the Christian faith. She wasn't raised in it. She's actually the only religious person in her family. She said she had recently gone through the questioning stage that I had gone through, only she came out of it the other way. She gave me a really good idea of what to tell people if they ask me why I'm an atheist. Basically: "It was a personal decision I made after a lot of thought." elaboration: "Most people go through a doubt phase, that typically increases their faith. I just came out of it on the other side." I love her. She didn't treat me any differently.

One person down, two to go: my sister and my other best (Christian) friend... (and then my school but I don't really care much about the opinions of people I'm not close to, at least in this circumstance)

Oh just a side-note: Me and some friends were at Chipotle (love it!) today and I saw another one of my friends (Christian, but we're not that close) that I hadn't seen since middle school. She was with the pastor's wife of her church *awkward turtle* So one of the first things she (my friend) asks me is if I'm still going to church (we used to talk God-talk all the time). I kind of shrugged it off and was like "Nah, it's just not working out." I figured the "A-word" wouldn't be too good in this situation. She invited me hers and I said something like "I'm not sure if that would work..." Ugh, I hate small towns!

Alright, that's all I've got. Thanks for reading  :D
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Will

I'm really glad your friend is so supportive and accepting. It's rare to find a good friend like that.  :banna:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

susangail

:banna:  :banna:
Words can't describe how relieved I am.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Chimera

Congratulations, Susan. I'm glad it went well.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"Congratulations, Susan. I'm glad it went well.
Thanks, me too.

joeactor

Good for you!  And good for your friend too...

I'm a sucker for a happy ending,
JoeActor

Asmodean

Quote from: "joeactor"I'm a sucker for a happy ending,
Overly-dramatic everyone-dies endings tend to be far more entertaining in my book.

Still, congrats, susangail  :beer:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

susangail

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "joeactor"I'm a sucker for a happy ending,
Overly-dramatic everyone-dies endings tend to be far more entertaining in my book.

Still, congrats, susangail  :D

leftyguitarjoe

My best friend and I went atheist together hahaha.