News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: February poll and discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, January 17, 2019, 05:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

[By the way, I'm looking for more nominations of both fiction and non-fiction books]

And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini
In this tale revolving around not just parents and children but brothers and sisters, cousins and caretakers, Hosseini explores the many ways in which families nurture, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for one another; and how often we are surprised by the actions of those closest to us, at the times that matter most. Following its characters and the ramifications of their lives and choices and loves around the globe—from Kabul to Paris to San Francisco to the Greek island of Tinos—the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page.

Parable of the Sower, by Octavia E. Butler
As environmental and economic crisis lead to social chaos, a recently orphaned teenager begins a fight for survival that will lead to a new religion and vision for humanity.  [Published in 1993, I'm proposing this one for its -- and its sequel, Parable of the Talents -- startling foretelling of much of what's going on now, even the Trump Presidency]

The Tortilla Curtain, by T. C. Boyle
A novel about middle-class values, illegal immigration, xenophobia, poverty, and environmental destruction. It was awarded the French Prix Médicis Étranger prize for best foreign novel in 1997.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon
For sixty years Jewish refugees and their descendants have prospered in the Federal District of Sitka, a "temporary" safe haven created in the wake of the Holocaust and the shocking 1948 collapse of the fledgling state of Israel. The Jews of the Sitka District have created their own little world in the Alaskan panhandle, a vibrant and complex frontier city that moves to the music of Yiddish. But now the District is set to revert to Alaskan control, and their dream is coming to an end.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Well, I'll break the tie this time.  Unless we get a tie-breaking vote before the poll closes, I'm going with And the Mountains Echoed, since it's been on the list longest.
Sandy

Davin

Alright, I'll get that one. It sounds like a great book.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on January 24, 2019, 02:57:03 PM
Alright, I'll get that one. It sounds like a great book.

I loved Hosseini's The Kite Runner.
Sandy

Davin

So I'm a little behind. I'm at 85% completed right now, might finish it today, so I'll have a review of it on Monday.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on February 14, 2019, 03:38:14 PM
So I'm a little behind. I'm at 85% completed right now, might finish it today, so I'll have a review of it on Monday.

I finished it a couple days ago and kept forgetting to review.  I loved it -- the first time I picked it up I didn't stop reading until I was a third thru.  I thought it was a fascinating examination of close relationships, particularly but not necessarily those within the family.  How we protect and betray, support and fail, one another and all the reasons why.  And I liked how Hosseini started out with the long fable about the div, whose moral seemed connected in some way to all the other stories in the book, tho most of all to the two main characters, Abdullah and Pari.  I know Hosseini has 3 books published, and will definitely be looking up the third one.
Sandy

Davin

Quote from: Sandra Craft on February 15, 2019, 01:52:18 AM
Quote from: Davin on February 14, 2019, 03:38:14 PM

I finished it a couple days ago and kept forgetting to review.  I loved it -- the first time I picked it up I didn't stop reading until I was a third thru.  I thought it was a fascinating examination of close relationships, particularly but not necessarily those within the family.  How we protect and betray, support and fail, one another and all the reasons why.  And I liked how Hosseini started out with the long fable about the div, whose moral seemed connected in some way to all the other stories in the book, tho most of all to the two main characters, Abdullah and Pari.  I know Hosseini has 3 books published, and will definitely be looking up the third one.
It was very refreshing to have people do bad and good things and not really have any bad people.

All the stories seemed to be related to the first story. I'd have to reread it, but it seemed that way at least. Might be I was making links that weren't necessarily there or the links were so subtly done that they almost go unnoticed.

The time jumps only took a little getting used to, they were a little bumpy for me at first, but after the first story I got used to them. The best example I think is when Markos? was taking a picture of Thalia on the beach and then went through many scenes from the whole lifetime of that photo.

It was a great book, I'll be looking up the other two now.