News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Man Beating Baby Said 'Demons' Were In Boy

Started by afreethinker30, June 27, 2008, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

Quote from: "susangail"
Quote from: "afreethinker30"Well I think you would be surprised at how little people do to help each other.My hubsand had seen a women who had fallen into a river in Indianapolis,there were alot of people around and they all just watched.He was the only one who jumped in to get her out.Funny thing is it was shown on the news that day and all of those people who stood there lied their tails off.A couple of them were saying that they tried to help.Just think about when you're driving down the street and see someone who's car has broken down.How many people do you see stop and help.
That reminds me... one time, my sister was in the car with her friend from church and some of her friend's family members. They passed by a lady whose car was broken down. My sister commented on how they should help the lady and the mother (who was driving) replied, "Oh it's okay, I asked God to send her help when we passed."

And I bet God sent down a mechanic. :brick:

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"
Quote from: "afreethinker30"Well I think you would be surprised at how little people do to help each other.My hubsand had seen a women who had fallen into a river in Indianapolis,there were alot of people around and they all just watched.He was the only one who jumped in to get her out.Funny thing is it was shown on the news that day and all of those people who stood there lied their tails off.A couple of them were saying that they tried to help.Just think about when you're driving down the street and see someone who's car has broken down.How many people do you see stop and help.
That reminds me... one time, my sister was in the car with her friend from church and some of her friend's family members. They passed by a lady whose car was broken down. My sister commented on how they should help the lady and the mother (who was driving) replied, "Oh it's okay, I asked God to send her help when we passed."

And I bet God sent down a mechanic. :brick:
Oh no, He most certainly miraculously "fixed" the car and the lady suddenly saw the light and became a Christian on the side of the rode. Cars slowed and crashed into each other at the site of this woman kneeling with her hands to the heavens screaming at the top of her lungs "God, God, GOD!!! I believe!!!!"
The Lord works in mysterious ways.......
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Moses

This is an awful situation to read about. Religions always find their way to dehumanize the "other".

All in all however I think humans are cooperative (due to reason and evolution) and I cannot understand why people would not help this poor baby. One of the reasons I am Atheist is because I do not believe in "turning the other cheek" and this guy deserves to be ripped apart if this would save the baby.

But to be fair and not paint too evil a portrait of humanity (like religion does), I think there is a big difference between not helping someone with a broken down car (and who probably has help on the way already, due to cell phones amongst other things) and saving a baby's life from some monster stomping on them.

I have gotten into fist fights when violence is involved but I do not always help people with broken down cars since broken down cars are different  scenarios from life or death situations and I never thought someone needed to help me when I have been in a similar situation. I of course weigh this on reason and not some duty delegating god.

Essentially what I am getting at is that  I don't think someone needs to intervene to help you unless you are completely incapable of helping yourself (elderly, child like or super poor and/or their is force being used against you).

afreethinker30

Yeah but it comes back to people just don't help people anymore.You hear about things like this all the time.There was a news story about a young girl who was stoned infront of a crowd.No one helped.Infact someone stood there and videotaoped it.Yes someones car being broke down is totally different.But it shows that most people just drive by.People feel more moved and more likely to do something if they see a starving child from another country on TV.But walk past a homeless man asking for change.

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"Yeah but it comes back to people just don't help people anymore.You hear about things like this all the time.There was a news story about a young girl who was stoned infront of a crowd.No one helped.Infact someone stood there and videotaoped it.Yes someones car being broke down is totally different.But it shows that most people just drive by.People feel more moved and more likely to do something if they see a starving child from another country on TV.But walk past a homeless man asking for change.
I agree. I was talking with my sister's boyfriend about this actually. He said that he gets so frustrated with people who run off to save people in Africa when there are still people here that need help.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "afreethinker30"Yeah but it comes back to people just don't help people anymore.You hear about things like this all the time.There was a news story about a young girl who was stoned infront of a crowd.No one helped.Infact someone stood there and videotaoped it.Yes someones car being broke down is totally different.But it shows that most people just drive by.People feel more moved and more likely to do something if they see a starving child from another country on TV.But walk past a homeless man asking for change.
I agree. I was talking with my sister's boyfriend about this actually. He said that he gets so frustrated with people who run off to save people in Africa when there are still people here that need help.

I was really shocked to learn that here in Indiana our homeless population is alot more then I thought.Friend of mine worked for a shelter for awhile helping people find jobs and homes.She worked with alot of the teen population.She said alot of the teens she worked with where gay and disowned because of it.At the time we had a different governor who wasn't doing alot.Infact he cut their program back.The governor we have now is all about helping people.I really really hope he gets re-elected.

afreethinker30

QuotePATIENT IGNORED TO DEATH
KINGS COUNTY HOSPITAL OUTRAGE
They callously ignored her.

Esmin Green is seen in these infuriating images collapsing on the psychiatric emergency-room floor at Kings County Hospital - stared at by one worker, ignored by a security guard, and finally nudged by a health-care staffer on June 19.

She lay there for an hour before doctors and nurses snapped to attention and tried to revive the 49-year-old Jamaica native.

It was too late.

The shocking video was released by lawyers suing KCH in federal court on an unrelated matter.

"I heard about it and it's horrible how she died like that," said Green's landlady, Beatrice Wallace, of East 94th Street in Brooklyn.

She'd lived there until just days before she died.

The needless death resulted in the immediate firings of the director of psychiatry, the doctor on duty and the director of security, said a spokeswoman for the city's Health and Hospitals Corp., which runs the municipal hospital.

Two nurses and a security guard were suspended pending hearings.

"We are all shocked and distressed by this situation," HHC President Alan D. Aviles said in a statement last night. "It is clear that some of our employees failed to act based on our compassionate standards of care."

He added that "as a result of this tragic incident, we will put into place additional and significant reforms" to protect psych patients.

A federal court order will be signed today, directing the hospital to assemble a search team to fill the spots of the fired staff, and establishing guidelines to reduce the waiting time at the emergency room.

HHC said Green was brought to the psychiatric e.r. by EMS medics on the morning of June 18, suffering from agitation and psychosis.

The patient refused medical review and was admitted against her will.

She was left in the e.r., supposedly under supervision, waiting for a bed in the inpatient unit to become available.

Nearly 24 hours later, on the morning on June 19, she was found unresponsive on the floor.

Shockingly, more than a year earlier, the New York Civil Liberties Union and others sued KCH over unsatisfactory conditions there.

The lawsuit, filed at Brooklyn federal court, described conditions in the psychiatric unit as "squalor," more like a squatter camp than a hospital.

"The pattern of neglect and abuse at Kings County Hospital Center is an affront to human dignity," NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman said at the time.

"The New Yorkers most in need of our care and support are being denied their basic rights by the very institutions entrusted to protect these individuals."

I will post the link.But it does have the surveillance video.http://www.nypost.com/seven/07012008/news/regionalnews/patient_ignored_to_death_117964.htm

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"I was really shocked to learn that here in Indiana our homeless population is alot more then I thought.Friend of mine worked for a shelter for awhile helping people find jobs and homes.She worked with alot of the teen population.She said alot of the teens she worked with where gay and disowned because of it.At the time we had a different governor who wasn't doing alot.Infact he cut their program back.The governor we have now is all about helping people.I really really hope he gets re-elected.
Wow. I still can't believe teens get disowned just because they're gay. It's stupid. I'm glad you have a decent governor now.

Quote from: "afreethinker30"I will post the link.But it does have the surveillance video.http://www.nypost.com/seven/07012008/news/regionalnews/patient_ignored_to_death_117964.htm
I saw this on my local news station last night. It's horrible.