News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Oops!

Started by Dave, June 24, 2018, 08:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Bumped into a car today. Dropped some stuff of at  a local charity shop and needed to reverse a couple of feet to escape. Looked behind me, no-one, glanced to the right, looked behind again as I started moving . . .

In that couple of seconds that I looked right a car had pulled in close behind me. Though I hit the brake we bumped. The bloke, about my age and size, got out gesticulating and incoherent. Took me a few seconds to realise that he was saying he was deaf! 

Not a single mark on either car, he offered his hand and we shook and went our ways. But I sneaked pictures of both cars just in case! I have not checked my reversing light but if it is working it would have been on as he pulled in, and the rear of my car would have been in shadow.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Let's hope it remains an irritating anecdote.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 24, 2018, 10:01:13 PM
Let's hope it remains an irritating anecdote.

Unlike the last one where the bloke claimed actual damage to his Land Rover and whiplash when there was no mark on my car. Hence the photos this time.

Velma

Always take pictures. When I worked for the blood bank years ago, one of our delivery drivers was in an accident. This was before smart phones, so each truck had a disposable camera in the glove box. The driver took a bunch of pictures of the damage. However, he still had some shots left. He took pictures of the inside of the car. It saved the company later when she tried to claim that three other adults were also in the car with her - all with injuries, of course. That part of the claim was withdrawn once she was shown the picture of the inside of her car - with the three empty infant seats taking up all the other available seating in the car.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 24, 2018, 08:31:44 PM
Bumped into a car today. Dropped some stuff of at  a local charity shop and needed to reverse a couple of feet to escape. Looked behind me, no-one, glanced to the right, looked behind again as I started moving . . .

In that couple of seconds that I looked right a car had pulled in close behind me. Though I hit the brake we bumped. The bloke, about my age and size, got out gesticulating and incoherent. Took me a few seconds to realise that he was saying he was deaf!

Not a single mark on either car, he offered his hand and we shook and went our ways. But I sneaked pictures of both cars just in case! I have not checked my reversing light but if it is working it would have been on as he pulled in, and the rear of my car would have been in shadow.

Glad to hear that it wasn't a more serious incident, Dave. The parking sensors on my car have saved the day a few times in situations like yours.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 25, 2018, 04:44:00 AM

Glad to hear that it wasn't a more serious incident, Dave. The parking sensors on my car have saved the day a few times in situations like yours.

Ah, well, rich people with posh cars . . .

Though I remember when cheap cars like mine did not come with power steering, electric windows, air conditioning, auto/manual gearboxes, anti-lock braking . . .

Bits of electronics, like proximity sensors, are cheap compared to some of those.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 25, 2018, 06:57:27 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 25, 2018, 04:44:00 AM

Ah, well, rich people with posh cars . . .

Though I remember when cheap cars like mine did not come with power steering, electric windows, air conditioning, auto/manual gearboxes, anti-lock braking . . .

Bits of electronics, like proximity sensors, are cheap compared to some of those.

And some features I've never even used once, like automatic self parking.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Just looked at rear parking sensors, prices range from £13 to £130. The latter fits behind the number plate and is Bluetoothed to a smartphone, no wiring needed. Just a battery change every few months. Wondering just how salt/weatherproof the battery compartment is.

Another plate fitting job, though requires three small holes being drilled and wiring to the reversing light, costs about £30. But it needs a cable run the length of the car to the display. At £20 you get a wireless connection rear to front but needs 4 larger holes to be drilled for the sensors.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 25, 2018, 07:59:06 AM
Just looked at rear parking sensors, prices range from £13 to £130. The latter fits behind the number plate and is Bluetoothed to a smartphone, no wiring needed. Just a battery change every few months. Wondering just how salt/weatherproof the battery compartment is.

Another plate fitting job, though requires three small holes being drilled and wiring to the reversing light, costs about £30. But it needs a cable run the length of the car to the display. At £20 you get a wireless connection rear to front but needs 4 larger holes to be drilled for the sensors.

It may also be worth looking at a rear TV monitor. I don't have that on my car, but my ex-wife has it on both of hers and I find it very useful when I drive them. She also has the radar detection on both cars that brake the car to prevent collisions.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

My mother's car has parking sensors...they're not erm...totally necessary but a nice addition.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

My daughter in law's car has front and rear parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, 360° cameras, lane departure warning and close vehicle warning on both sides.  The bloody thing practically drives itself.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on June 27, 2018, 03:37:35 PM
My daughter in law's car has front and rear parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, 360° cameras, lane departure warning and close vehicle warning on both sides.  The bloody thing practically drives itself.

If she swaps in in a decade or so it probably will!

I want the invention of the self steering supermarket trolley and floor lanes. Maybe guided by a shopping list app on your smartphone to steer you on an optimum path. It will also disallow placing the trolley across the aisle and have a priority system that prevents collision and conforms to local traffic laws (which side to trundle on and giving way to trolleys passing on major junctions.)  In cases of aisle congestion the system will decide on a "first come - first ejected" principle, the trolley parking itself out of the way until its shopper stops faffing about and catches up with it. There will, of course, be a "browse" option for those who just want to wander about willy-nilly - though traffic discipline will still be maintained.

There has to be a Youtube video, speeded up probably, in there.

Hmm, thinking further trolleys will need to be narrower and aisles have five lanes: centre passing, two for moving/stopping and two for actually getting to the shelves.

Hang on, if all aisles are one way only maybe only four lanes, "stopping", "passing" and two for picking.