News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Greetings

Started by Woody, August 07, 2006, 12:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

Hello to everyone on the HappyAtheistForum,

I am a "strong" atheist, 50 years of age, and I live in North West England. I am pleased to join the forum and be amongst people of like mind. Shortage of time means I can't write more just now, but I'll try and add more in a day or two.

My regards to you all,
Woody

Whitney

Welcome, woody.  I hope you enjoy the forum.

McQ

Welcome Woody!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Squid

Welcome aboard Woody.

Asmodean Prime

greetings, Woody

Like minded?

...mmmm....not quite,

but welcome....I am something of a black sheep on this forum.  Still, they seem to be putting up with me.  For now, anyway.

I live in the north of England also.  Where abouts do you hail from?

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Woody.

Woody

Thank you to all for your welcome messages.

laetusatheos, I believe that the HappyAtheistForum is your baby.  I am wondering how long the forum has been in existence?  Did it really come into being as recently as June 26th this year?  I notice that quite a few members are recorded as having joined on that date, so I suspect that this community was, in part at least, already in existence prior to June.

onlyme, I realise, from the few threads which I've had chance to read, that you and I are not 'of like mind'.  We may come from the same part of the world (I'm in Accrington by the way - about 20 miles from Wigan), but I doubt we have a great amount in common.  That's okay with me, but I am genuinely curious as to why you choose to spend so much of your time on this forum when you are so obviously a square peg in a round hole here?  I also have detected that you are determined to remain forever square and you don't seem especially interested in serious discussion, so...I just have to wonder why you hang about this place so much.  I notice that you actually have more posts on the forum than anyone else, including laetusatheos.  Strikes me as extremely strange that a theist is the most prolific poster here.  I wonder if anyone else finds this as strange as I do?  Perhaps you see yourself as fulfilling some kind of 'virtual missionary' role, bringing god amongst the heathens?  If so, you are definitely wasting your time.

What about other theist members?  Do we have any, or is onlyme the onlyone? Any views on why some theists love to hang around with atheists so much?  Perhaps this should be discussed in another thread in another place...

Anyway, again, it's nice to join in with you all!

Woody

Big Mac

Welcome Woody, where's your friend Buzz?

To infinity and BEYOND!

Hahahahaha...*shuddups*
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Whitney

Quote from: "Woody"Thank you to all for your welcome messages.

laetusatheos, I believe that the HappyAtheistForum is your baby.  I am wondering how long the forum has been in existence?  Did it really come into being as recently as June 26th this year?  I notice that quite a few members are recorded as having joined on that date, so I suspect that this community was, in part at least, already in existence prior to June.

The forum has been around since sometime in May.  It started as more of a tack on to a web page but got enough members that I decided to make the forum the focus of the site.  I moved the forum once from a free host to this domain, but had it in a subfolder off the main site.  Then when I wanted to make it fully integrated, I couldn't figure out how to transfer the database easily while updating it to a portal based forum so just did a clean install, re-created accounts and moved the posts by hand (there weren't that many back then).  So, that's why it looks like everyone joined on the same date.

QuoteWhat about other theist members?  Do we have any, or is onlyme the onlyone? Any views on why some theists love to hang around with atheists so much?  Perhaps this should be discussed in another thread in another place...

Anyway, again, it's nice to join in with you all!

Woody

Iplaw is our only other theist.  I can't answer for the theist members we have here, but from being on other forums their reason ranges from wanting to convert to wanting to understand why we are atheists...some just like to debate.  I know some atheists who like to hang out on Christian forums, their reasons are pretty similar to what I stated above for theists.  It might be something interesting to discuss in it's own thread, feel free to create one if you want.

again, welcome. :D

Woody

Quote from: "Big Mac"Welcome Woody, where's your friend Buzz?

Thanks Big Mac.

If only I were as handsome as that Woody!  Nevermind, I think I'm better looking than Buzz.  :wink:

Woody

Thanks for the info, laetusatheos, and for your efforts in producing and maintaining the forum.  This really is a forum in its youth.  I hope it goes from strength to strength.

QuoteIplaw is our only other theist. I can't answer for the theist members we have here, but from being on other forums their reason ranges from wanting to convert to wanting to understand why we are atheists...some just like to debate. I know some atheists who like to hang out on Christian forums, their reasons are pretty similar to what I stated above for theists. It might be something interesting to discuss in it's own thread, feel free to create one if you want.

Your answer to my question is quite positive.  I understand that people have been persuaded by atheist argument in forums such as this.  And real debate is to be welcomed. I hope that when theists visit atheist forums, and vice versa, that in the majority of cases they are not doing so simply to be a nuisance, to be patronising and insulting, or to preach.  onlyme confounds me; I really don't know what he is doing here.  He has ruffled a few feathers, and maybe that is his agenda, I don't know.  I haven't read all his posts - I'm not sure anybody has, and I'm certainly not going to waste my time wading through them.  I suspect he will be burned out pretty soon....

Asmodean Prime

You suspect right, Woody.  This is my last post.  I have decided to leave this forum right now.  I came on here partly to learn what makes you guys tick, and partly to have a bit of fun and relieve the boredom.  But I realise some people have taken offence at some things I said.  Most of what I said was said in jest, though, and maybe I'm just not diplomatic enough to convey my mind, or judge how people will respond.  Anyway, my time on here has been fun, in a strange kind of way.

Good luck to you all, and God bless you.

Laeutus, will you please delete my account now, and all my information?  I tried, but it didn't seem to work.

I will remain reading the posts for another hour or so, hopefully till you get back to me and inform me that you have deleted my personal information.  Thanks

Woody

Quote from: "onlyme"You suspect right, Woody.  This is my last post.  I have decided to leave this forum right now....  
...Good luck to you all, and God bless you.

Thanks

Seems my post was prophetic.  Farewell, onlyme...all the best to you.  I wish you the realisation only free thinking can bring to you.

Big Mac

Allah Akbar! Jihada!! Praise Allah for defeating the infidel!!

Just kidding, so Woody, what do you do for hobbies and such? Or as you brits call it, Time users.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Tom62

Hi Woody,

Welcome to the "Club".  Nice to meet another European in this forum.

Ciao,

Tom
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein