News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Ask a Brit III

Started by Sandra Craft, January 11, 2018, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Because we seem to have lost the last two incarnations of this thread, and I just wanted to share this with my question:

In the vid they keep referring to Patrick Stewart as "Sir Stewart".  I thought it was supposed to be Sir First Name, not Sir Last Name but then I remembered Sir William Lucas from Pride and Prejudice, who was always referred to as "Sir Lucas".  So which is it, or does it matter at all?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Never noticed "Sir Surname".

If Wiki is any authority it should be "Sir Given-name".
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on January 11, 2018, 07:15:41 PM
Never noticed "Sir Surname".

If Wiki is any authority it should be "Sir Given-name".

That's what I thought, because I remember when Mick Jagger was knighted he said he'd have preferred to be called "Sir Mick" but he knew his mum would want "Sir Michael" so he went with that.
Sandy

OldGit

It should be "Sir + first name, but so many people get it wrong nowadays that it's becoming uncertain.

Sandra Craft

Just found out I was completely wrong about P&P -- Austen refers to William Lucas as Sir William.  I wonder why in the world I had it fixed in my mind as Sir Lucas?  Maybe because I like the name Lucas better?
Sandy

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 13, 2018, 12:34:04 PM
Just found out I was completely wrong about P&P -- Austen refers to William Lucas as Sir William.  I wonder why in the world I had it fixed in my mind as Sir Lucas?  Maybe because I like the name Lucas better?

Can be a problem when people have a sutname that is also a forename. I had a colleague called Sue May, she was christened with the diminuitive and no midde name. She constantly suffered the question, "Sue May what?" So her response became, "Sue May, that's it, no more." Parents can be silly/stupid/unkind!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Back when Her Majesty The Queen knighted me it was as "Sir Bruno". 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on January 13, 2018, 12:57:07 PM
Can be a problem when people have a sutname that is also a forename. I had a colleague called Sue May, she was christened with the diminuitive and no midde name. She constantly suffered the question, "Sue May what?" So her response became, "Sue May, that's it, no more." Parents can be silly/stupid/unkind!

Or simply so swept up in the birth that they're not thinking straight, or unaware of the implications.  I once had a cut stitched up by a doctor whose Korean born parents named him Peter Pan.  And we've all heard of guys named P(something) Enis, which becomes difficult when the first initial only is used.  For a not thinking straight example, one of my sisters-in-law was born on Xmas day, and her parents were just barely talked out of naming her Merry Christmas.
Sandy

hermes2015

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 14, 2018, 02:56:30 AM
Quote from: Dave on January 13, 2018, 12:57:07 PM

Or simply so swept up in the birth that they're not thinking straight, or unaware of the implications.  I once had a cut stitched up by a doctor whose Korean born parents named him Peter Pan.  And we've all heard of guys named P(something) Enis, which becomes difficult when the first initial only is used.  For a not thinking straight example, one of my sisters-in-law was born on Xmas day, and her parents were just barely talked out of naming her Merry Christmas.

I knew a boy whose family name was Rice, but unfortunately named Eaton by his parents. Eaton Rice looks OK on paper, until you say the name.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 14, 2018, 04:09:41 AM
I knew a boy whose family name was Rice, but unfortunately named Eaton by his parents. Eaton Rice looks OK on paper, until you say the name.

;D

I wonder if Eaton's parents did that deliberately, or just didn't think it thru?  One of my high school classmates was named Big Boy Cude.  None of us believed that was his legal name until we started getting our drivers licenses, and damn if his first name wasn't really Big Boy.
Sandy

hermes2015

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 14, 2018, 05:38:01 AM

;D

I wonder if Eaton's parents did that deliberately, or just didn't think it thru?  One of my high school classmates was named Big Boy Cude.  None of us believed that was his legal name until we started getting our drivers licenses, and damn if his first name wasn't really Big Boy.

Did he live up to his name?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

A couple of years ago we went to by a TV and while talking to the vendor I glanced at his name tag. Hailânder, with is a portuguesation of Highlander. At least one of his parents must have really liked the show!

Madeinusa is a common name among some poorer folk, according to Brazil's geographical census. Made in USA.  :d'oh!:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 14, 2018, 05:47:19 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 14, 2018, 05:38:01 AM

;D

Did he live up to his name?

No, generally average as far as I can remember.  I also learned that he was a Jr. and had an uncle named Little Boy Cude.  I felt sorry for the uncle.
Sandy

OldGit

In the 17th century some Puritan boys were given bizarre names like "Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned", "Job-raked-out-of-the-ashes" and "Jesus-Christ-came-into-the-world- to-save".

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on January 14, 2018, 10:53:30 AM
In the 17th century some Puritan boys were given bizarre names like "Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned", "Job-raked-out-of-the-ashes" and "Jesus-Christ-came-into-the-world- to-save".

I remember coming across names like that in history books.  Fortunately some of them got off easy with simple names like Industry or Makepeace.  Or maybe those were only the nicknames.
Sandy