News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Help me start a meme!

Started by Tank, January 07, 2018, 08:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Did you know?

"Did you know that truly devout male Christians cut off their left testicle so none of their offspring can be 'devil spawn'."
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

The Mystery cults demanded from their priests a level of commitment which not even Christian monks, in a later era, were expected to attain.  According to Lucian, the would be Galli, or eunuch priest, of Atargartis would take part in an increasingly frenzied procession in order to commit "the great act".

Any young man who was resolved of this action, strips off his clothes, and with a loud shout, bursts into the crowd, and picks up a sword from a number of swords which has been kept ready for this purpose.  He takes it and castrates himself and then runs wildly through the city, bearing in his hands what he had cut off.  He casts it into any house at will, and from this house he receives women's raiment and ornaments.

What greater sign of Loyalty to your goddess was there than to become a cross dressing eunuch....someone who had literally cut himself off from the pleasures of the physical world so that he could be faithful to Atargartis?

Above from the book: And Man Created God.

Magdalena

Man! I thought the "licki brush" had, "fried my WTF-meter."
:picard facepalm:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Guardian85

Quote from: Magdalena on January 07, 2018, 11:06:24 PM
Man! I thought the "licki brush" had, "fried my WTF-meter."
:picard facepalm:
Yeah. Me, too...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Hey, if we  are to do this meme  we can use a starting place.  Personally I ain't gonna cut my thingies off just to satisfy some girly God named Atargartis....