Started by xSilverPhinx, January 06, 2018, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 06, 2018, 10:30:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 09:51:32 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2018, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 09:12:02 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2018, 09:09:10 PM
Are these the grand parents on your mothers side or fathers side?

Mother's side.
What are your fathers side grand parents like?

Both are Catholics, but without the fanaticism. They just go to mass every other Sunday. My paternal grandfather is 93 and still lucid but was never really into technology but doesn't seem to oppose it either, at least not nearly as fervently as my maternal grandfather. My grandmother is a little younger but since she is not as lucid (starting stages of Alzheimer's perhaps) so she doesn't do much these days. A few years ago however she had her own desktop computer and would write emails every now and then.

I don't have that much contact with both sets of grandparents, as they live more than a 1000 kms away so I don't really know very much about these details of their lives and what they think. We don't even communicate much by phone or email. I visit every 5 years or so.

I was a little shocked when my maternal grandfather aired his thoughts but at the same time not too surprised, if that makes sense.

You come from a long-lived family.  You'll probably make it to 100.

I think Bruce could well be right. You could still be knocking around in 2087. What an amazing thought. All my grand children could concievably still be around in the next century. If Edwin makes it to 100 he'll pop his clogs in 2116+!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 07, 2018, 01:19:36 AM
I hope not! My great-grandmother (paternal grandmother's side) died about 8 years ago, around that age. She had advanced Alzheimer's when she did. A sad end.
And there is going to be no advances in nurology over the next 50 years? By the time you get to 90 you might be able to buy a robot body with complete personality download capability!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 09:11:44 PM
Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 09:07:47 PM
Dunno about neophobia but some of them religious types are certainly technophobes or something! I did some work for a fsmily company that were membersbof a rdligious group of done dort ghst firbade them using computers (but OK if I used mine to do their graphic work), they used manual typewriters for text stuff.

:lol: Who uses typewriters anymore?

That's funny, because I recently watched this documentary:  California Typewriter
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I used to use a typewriter to make a lot of mistakes and have to use plenty of whiteout to patch them.  Mimeograph copies, Ozalid blue prints, and other assorted antiquities like slide rules and Smoleys tables of slopes and rises.

In my job as a design engineer we had a beastly machine, called a comptometer.  It was a machine with rows and rows of numeric keys and a whole gaggle of whirring gears inside.  It was capable of the four basic arithmetic functions, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.  The divide function was fun to use because it would cause the gears to whir almost endlessly.  When I wanted to take a rest from the drawing board, I would put in a lengthy division problem and let the machine whirl away for several minutes.  ::)

My ten dollar hand calculator has spoiled me rotten. It gives me no rest time though.  Put in a division problem and the quotient pops up in a few microseconds.  I have a hundred dollar graphing calculator that can do everything except bake biscuits.  I am in love with that thing. My computer allows me to make mistakes, which I often do, but it lets me fix the mistakes with a click of the  mouse button.  All you youg'ens don't know how easy you have it.  Your I phone can even tell you where you are with its GPS function.   Whew, I am glad to have lived so long so that I could see and appreciate such marvels

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on January 07, 2018, 09:49:43 PM
I used to use a typewriter to make a lot of mistakes and have to use plenty of whiteout to patch them.  Mimeograph copies, Ozalid blue prints, and other assorted antiquities like slide rules and Smoleys tables of slopes and rises.

In my job as a design engineer we had a beastly machine, called a comptometer.  It was a machine with rows and rows of numeric keys and a whole gaggle of whirring gears inside.  It was capable of the four basic arithmetic functions, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.  The divide function was fun to use because it would cause the gears to whir almost endlessly.  When I wanted to take a rest from the drawing board, I would put in a lengthy division problem and let the machine whirl away for several minutes.  ::)

My ten dollar hand calculator has spoiled me rotten. It gives me no rest time though.  Put in a division problem and the quotient pops up in a few microseconds.  I have a hundred dollar graphing calculator that can do everything except bake biscuits.  I am in love with that thing. My computer allows me to make mistakes, which I often do, but it lets me fix the mistakes with a click of the  mouse button.  All you youg'ens don't know how easy you have it.  Your I phone can even tell you where you are with its GPS function.   Whew, I am glad to have lived so long so that I could see and appreciate such marvels

Bin there, dun that. Them was the days! I can remember the arguments about allowing calculators - basic four function jobs - in tech colleges. "They are too expensive - not allowed until every student can afford one."
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 09:59:22 PM
^
QuoteI was a little shocked when my maternal grandfather aired his thoughts but at the same time not too surprised, if that makes sense.

If you mean "..not surprised that he had such views but shocked that he aired them..." that works. Having opinions and the unkind, unethical, undiplomatic or tactless expression of them are two very different things!

He speaks his mind, even when inappropriate, which is why I wasn't surprised. He did so for as long as I can remember. I was a little shocked that he seems to be so cognitively inflexible, though.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 07, 2018, 12:17:02 AM
I am a crotchety old bastard who is not averse to the incredible digital tools that we now have . My wife has an I phone, I pad, powerful PC and such.  I am amazed and appreciative that she not only has, but uses to advantage, those remarkable tools. She is an E-by power seller and makes a fair profit from her efforts that are made possible by the internet.

On the other hand, two days ago, a local eleven year old, girl piano prodigy, was walking home from her music school. She had earbuds  in her ears and was looking down at her I phone. She was walking across a railroad track on her way home.  The train conductor  at 70 MPH, blew his whistle and applied the brakes to the train. Too late.  This promising, and innocent, little girl did not respond.    The little girl is now very dead, thanks to the dedication to her digitally miraculous implements.

There is good and bad with the digital world.  The kids in my world spend more time with their "devices" than is healthy. But then there is a great deal of positive output with the devices.  Meanwhile I get to indulge in some interesting and informative discourse with my friends at HAF and a few other forums. 

Digital capacities are a mixed bag of blessings or horrors. The digital new world is bewildering and dangerous and immensely valuable at the same time.

There are even discussions on what excessive screen time is doing to developing brains. This is newish territory, and very important in my opinion.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2018, 06:52:08 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 07, 2018, 01:19:36 AM
I hope not! My great-grandmother (paternal grandmother's side) died about 8 years ago, around that age. She had advanced Alzheimer's when she did. A sad end.
And there is going to be no advances in nurology over the next 50 years? By the time you get to 90 you might be able to buy a robot body with complete personality download capability!

I think there will definitely be advances in the medical sciences, but then again I was also sure that by the time I was old enough to get a driver's licence there would be flying cars. :P There goes one childhood wish...  :(

I'm partly joking there. I don't know if I would want to live potentially forever in a robot body, I suppose most people would get tired of it at one point. If death is one aspect of life that gives it meaning, when you remove the transience, does meaning remain? 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 07, 2018, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 09:11:44 PM
Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 09:07:47 PM
Dunno about neophobia but some of them religious types are certainly technophobes or something! I did some work for a fsmily company that were membersbof a rdligious group of done dort ghst firbade them using computers (but OK if I used mine to do their graphic work), they used manual typewriters for text stuff.

:lol: Who uses typewriters anymore?

That's funny, because I recently watched this documentary:  California Typewriter

Ok, there are people who still use typewriters :lol:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 07, 2018, 09:49:43 PM

The way I see it, this is a good time to be alive, and if some upper-ups don't destroy the planet and billions of people's prospects in the near future, things tend to get better.

I don't get why some older folks think the golden age has come and gone.

Icarus

^ Sheeesh Silver. I hope you did not mean me.  I relish the modern facilities and wish to hell that i had not been born too soon.

hermes2015

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 07, 2018, 02:12:39 PM

Oh, thank you for pointing me to that documentary, BCE. I managed to get hold of it and I enjoyed watching it this morning. I liked the part where Sam Shepard says the Hermes has the greatest feel. I used to get that a lot in my younger days.

If you liked California Typewriter, I can recommend another one in similar vein: Linotype: The Film.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 08, 2018, 07:28:44 AM
I liked the part where Sam Shepard says the Hermes has the greatest feel. I used to get that a lot in my younger days.

:snicker:  Didn't we all?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 08, 2018, 06:01:55 AM
^ Sheeesh Silver. I hope you did not mean me.  I relish the modern facilities and wish to hell that i had not been born too soon.

No Icarus, I wasn't talking abut you specifically. Without overgeneralising too much, I think that many senior citizens feel that the past was better in every aspect -- but not all of course. 

No one

Broken wings:

Aregentuim:
No Broken Wings, I wasn't talking abut you specifically. Without overgeneralising too much, I think that many senior citizens feel that the past was better in every aspect -- but not all of course.